Re: [IRCA] A idea for future DX Tests.....

Re: [IRCA] A idea for future DX Tests.....

>> *** The idea of slower code is a good one - and many testers have used
>> that. I didn't hear KMTI so I don't know at what speed they ran it. But
>> I think the speed you propose is too slow. At those lengths one could
>> have a fade-up which would be shorter than one sequence of code.
>
> Hi Russ,
>
> When I mean slow, I'm talking extra slow. The stations already run morse
>   at similar speeds to NDBs, but I am talking about slowing it down much
> slower than that, to the point that the actual dits, dahs and dashes are
> plainly visible in the Spectrum Lab waterfall display. My idea isn't
> geared to just slow it down to where folks can follow the CW characters,
> but to the point where Spectrum Lab can easily display the morse
> characters on signals so weak that they would be inaudible to the ear.
>
> 73,
> Brandon Jordan

Another suggestion might be to reproduce, with a single audio tone for
*visual* detection, the same effect that the sweep tone gives the ear -
that of a very definitive pattern that changes like no other random
pattern would. Perhaps the pattern of the tones could start fast (5
dashes/sec) then gradually lengthening until they were one dash lasting
5 seconds, with the whole string lasting for a minute. On a spectrum
display, at some point in that minute you should be able to tell you got
the pattern.

Also, that pattern should be audible to the ear, giving it the added
benefit for those without spectrum analysis capabilities,

Brett Saylor