Re: [IRCA] (OT) High Speed internet update

--- Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> You can't say I haven't tried. I called Qwest this morning to make
> sure
> DSL is not available out here. It isn't. I then called Charter Cable
> and
> yes High Speed internet is available out here, for the 3 meg/sec
> charge
> is a promotion for only the first three months ($19.99).

*** This parallels what I experienced 6-7 years ago with Verizon. They
couldn't/wouldn't offer DSL to me back then because the existing
tariffs dictated they'd have to charge me over $100/month. My son, who
lived at home, and really wanted the DSL, found a 3rd party provider
who would do it for $90, so he went for it. A couple of years later a
different provider offered $75. By the time he moved out 2 1/2 years
ago, Verizon was available at $40, which subsequently got as low as
$32.

But I'm not as rural as you are. But you are also unlikely to see the
cost go down  much below $40 because of that.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id