[IRCA] All Christmas music formats

There was an interesting story in the Business Review (Albany NY) on
12/8 about radio stations that switch to All Christmas / All The Time
formats around Thanksgiving. The article says that about 370 stations
nationwide make the switch each year. It quoted a media research firm
who reviewed 119 FM stations that adopted this format in 2005. They
found an average market share increase of 10% in both the adult age
25-to-54 and all listener over age 12 sections. Two Albany area stations
mentioned in the article had adult 25-to-54 market share increases of
50% (WKLI) and 37.5% (WTRY) last year!

Personally I can't stand this format. I have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Christmas Album on CD. When I feel the need, I find that Colorado
Christmas (with Alison Krauss helping out on vocals and John McEuen on
banjo) once a week throughout December seems to satisfy all of my needs
for Christmas music.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/