Re: [IRCA] FCC info on tone testers

> I understand what you are saying, Craig.  The obvious answer is that, of
> course, I would prefer they coming to me first.  But, the answer in the
> case of the tone stations is not so cut and dry.
>
> If someone had a complaint against WNTP or WFIL, they would be able to
> contact us, as our call letters are given every few minutes.  It would
> be very easy to determine the source of the interference.  In the case
> of the tones on 590, 1020, and 1610, however, there is no ID.  There is
> no way to determine precisely who the station is, and only an
> approximation of their location.  (By the way, under most experimental
> licenses in the broadcast bands, ID's are required.  I remember this
> specifically from when Kintronics was testing their Kinstar antenna
> design on 1680 near Bristol, VA a few years back.)  So in this case,
> with no identification being given, and the plausibility of some
> "unusual" activity, one has no choice but to go to the commission.

I can agree partially, but you're answering from the wrong side of the
fence.  In this case, the people who complained were taking the job of the
station that was being interfered with.  Let me restate it..

If your station was *receiving* interference, would you prefer a listener
contact you or the FCC first?  That's what my question was..

> I applaud Glenn Hauser's initiative to seek some answers.  To be honest,
> if the tones had continued without any information coming forth, I would
> have called the commission myself this week.

I wasn't really thinking about Glenn, but more the person (and I've
forgotten who it was) that referenced the FBI for one.  If Glenn thinks I
had him in mind, I didn't.  As a journalist, he has every right to ask
questions - and he didn't do it as a DXer which is laudible.

Can a DXer sue anyone for received interference?  No, of course not.  We
have no legal standing in these matters.  So any complaint or inquiry *as a
DXer* is just so much IBOC hiss to the agency and makes us look like
busybodies.  I want *no* part of that impression.

The mere fact that this matter has been brought so far out in the open, and
to governmental channels will likely *kill* any chance of cooperation from
the organization that is doing it.  Had we simply shut up and kept it to the
list, there's a possibility that maybe QSLs could have been had, and *maybe*
some advance notice issued so we could give signal reports and help with the
tests.  But NOOOO....  I just hope Kent doesn't suffer any fallout over
this.  I gotta tell you, if I have any advance info on some sort of testing,
I'll be keeping it to myself, thankyouverymuch.

Sorry folks.  As a broadcast engineer and DXer for a long time, I think
y'all shot a big ol' hole in your foot with this one.  I'd be curious what
the other broadcast engineers who lurk in here think.  Drop me a private
email.  Confidentiality ga-ron-teed, though I may post some general

Craig Healy
Providence, RI