Re: [IRCA] (Fwd) The signal loops to the SOUTH OF Maryland

Re: [IRCA] (Fwd) The signal loops to the SOUTH OF Maryland

> For the record, the 1020 signal loops much stronger to the SOUTH of
> here than to the NORTH towards New Jersey.  I may be doing something
> wrong, but the signal is stronger on my SW and SE loops of my K9AY
> than on the NW and NE.  My bearing is about 190 Degrees which puts it
> south of Washington, DC, and then near Richmond, Virginia.  This
> bearing more or less follows I95 after that to about Georgia and
> Florida.  I am eyeballing this on my map here, so this is just a
> rough idea.
>
> Bill Harms
> Elkridge, Maryland

This would rule out speculation about Ft Monmouth NJ
it would seem. Also Aberdeen PG. Looks as if my
guesses are wide of the mark. But why stop now?
We're having MORE fun than a DX'er should be
ALLOWED to have !

Two possible candidates in the area you describe
could be Camp A P Hill in northernmost Va, or the
FBI facility at Quantico. Back in my college days
I used to drive back and forth through A P Hill on Rt
207 after leaving 301 in Md. and picking up US 1
north of Richmond, on my travels between NJ and NC.
(this was before I-95 was even built). It's a big area.

Or could we even deign to bring out the name Vint Hill?
I thought the "company" shut that one down and it's
in the area as well.

Don't forget that this tone being heard so well is that
it's basically a "CW ID" that we love so much on DX
tests, except that the key is locked in the "on" position.

It's pushing through right now at 2230 local time. The
mix on 1020 is Kendall in kreyol, and reloj from Cuba,
about even, with no sign of KDKA, as usual here on
the west coast of Fl.

- Bob, Tampa FL          2241 est