Re: [IRCA] MORE ON KKOL

Patrick Martin wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. So they looked at Bainbridge. I also was
> thinking that would be a dandy site. I don't know what directional
> pattern they could have had from there though.

They did more than look - they had a CP there. It actually wouldn't have
been a great option, from what I can get out of FCC archive files at
fccinfo.com. The CP was for 5 kW days/2 kW nights, using a figure-8
pattern aimed roughly NE/SW. I'm not sure whether this CP was issued
before the deal was struck to buy KIKN and take it dark; it's possible
the pattern might have been let out more if KIKN weren't a factor.
Another issue with Bainbridge is that it's only a two-tower site, which
doesn't allow for as much shaping of a custom DA pattern for KKOL as the
three-tower KIXI site (where KKOL had yet another CP for 35 kW day/16 kW
night) would have provided.

There was yet another CP issued, for 50 day and night from a four-tower
site in Kent, but there were apparently issues with ground conductivity
there that made the site undesirable.

They've certainly sunk a lot of time and effort into keeping the station
on the air. I hope the Tacoma site ends up being worth it!