Re: [IRCA] MORE ON KKOL

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Pete and Bruce,
>
> Isn't 1590 on Bainbridge? I wonder why they did not diplex there?

According to the application Salem filed for the Tacoma site, there were
CPs issued earlier to diplex KKOL at the KIXI 880 site in Bellevue and
at the KLFE 1590 site on Bainbridge. They couldn't come to terms on a
lease at the KIXI site, and the KLFE site ended up diplexed with KTFH
(now KDOW) 1680 instead. Quoting from the Tacoma application:

"On a technical basis, it was concluded that the signals of all three
stations would be compromised if an attempt was made to use the KLFE
site for a triplex AM operation."

There's a fascinating and lengthy narrative that follows, explaining how
KKOL considered ten other sites, and studied diplex possibilities at
every other existing AM site in Seattle, before settling on the Tacoma
site. You can read it at:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getattachment_exh.cgi?exhibit_id=307873

I'm not a Salem engineer, but it seems to me they might have ended up
much better off putting KKOL with KLFE on Bainbridge and moving 1680
somewhere else.  The Tacoma site is just too far away from Seattle to
provide a really usable signal in much of the metro, as KJR learned when
it tried to diplex with KHHO. From the Tacoma site, KKOL simply won't
exist at night on the east side of Lake Washington or anywhere north of
the University of Washington, though it will pick up new coverage on the
Tacoma side of the market.

With KIKN in Port Angeles out of the way (it signed off for good last
week), there are no really tight spacings KKOL had to contend with, just
some mild protections to KLDY 1280, KIT 1280, KACI 1300, KZXR 1310 and
CHMB 1320. All of those could have been pretty easily met from Bainbridge.