Re: [IRCA] Dump AM IBOC, Move the AM Band, re:HDTV comment

Russ Edmunds wrote:

> I'm still not betting against another extension.

I am. The process is too far along at this point, complete with
negotiated channel elections for the stations that will move to
permanent DTV assignments from their interim ones in 2009. Much of the
spectrum that will be vacated by those interim assignments (like my
locals on 58 and 59) has already been resold, and the new owners of that
spectrum won't want to wait to get at it. (Qualcomm, which bought
channel 55 nationwide, is already paying stations to vacate the channel
early.)

And for all the negativity about "useless" TV sets, I continue to
maintain that many consumers - most, even - won't notice the end of OTA
analog. I've already noted that I have only one set in the house that's
OTA-only (not counting the DX rig), and it will be gone before 2009. My
parents, who are hardly tech-savvy, have only one 5" B/W portable that's
not hooked up to cable. My 91-year-old grandmother has both her sets
hooked up to cable. My sister has both hers hooked up to Dish Network.
Nothing will change for any of them in February 2009. The last stats
that I've seen put US cable/dish penetration at well over 80% of
households. Even adding in the "kitchen OTA TV" factor, I'm still
convinced that more households will glide past the deadline without
noticing it than will lose any service they've been using. We'll see,
one way or another, in two and a half years...