Re: [IRCA] Broadcast Automation

Patrick Griffith wrote:

>> Someone mentioned early broadcast automation systems. The first one that
>> I saw was at WZEE (Z-104) in Madison WI around 1975. To me broadcast
>> automation was a new and exciting technology at the time. I'm not
>> positive but I think this may have been a Schafer system. It occupied an
>> entire wall of a large room with about eight 19" racks full of rotating
>> cartridge carousels, reel to reel players, and assorted electronics. It
>> was absolutely amazing to watch it in operation. I was especially
>> impressed by the two reel to reel players that contained an announcement
>> of every minute of the 12-hour day. One had the even minutes and one had
>> the odd minutes. One was always at ready cue while the other was
>> updating to the next position. When the automation called for a time
>> announcement the system would play the current time, such as "it's four
>> thirty-two", just as if the announcer was live. WZEE was running the
>> fantastic Drake Chenault CHR format at the time.

We had a Schafer system at WXCC-FM in Williamson WV in the early 80s. I worked there from 11/82 to 5/83 and programmed it in the afternoons before doing the 6 PM-12 Mid shift on our AM, WBTH. It was the Drake-Chenault country format. We covered a wide (three state) area with our 50kW.

I wouldn't wish Williamson on anyone. Coal mining town of 5000 in the middle of nowhere. Rugged country.

Still have my WV call letter license plate though.

Bob (Anthony) Antoniuk
WGHT Pompton Lakes NJ