Re: [IRCA] Broadcast Automation

The first time I saw an automation system was in the late '60s at a station
in Connecticut.  The FM was doing separate programming from 11 AM to 4 P.M.
and they were using a gates system that had reel to reel tape decks.

They ran a beautiful music format in mono.  The music came from a company
based in California called Total Music.  I have no idea what became of that
company or what they are doing today.

One day while I was at the station, the tapes ran backwards.  At the end of
each selection, an announcer was supposed to come on and say what song was
heard and who did it.   Needless to say when the tapes ran backwards, the
result was interesting.

When a problem took place, an alarm would ring.  This did happen but no one
at the station paid attention.

Years later, I worked at the same station and they were using a Computer
Concepts system which had 24 trays of cartridges.  Unistar or United
Stations programmed the system with the Oldies Channel format.  Things had
to be timed exactly right or the wrong event would go on the air.

The best example of what could go wrong came during the pause in Strawberry
Fields Forever by the Beatles.  If a pause of more than eight seconds
occurred, an alarm would go off.  This happened frequently during that song
and on other occasions.

Those are some of my experiences with automation.

Larry Stoler