Re: [IRCA] QSLs

> I received a WSAR QSL Letter from Bill Parkhurst, Staff Engineer on July
26
> for a July 21, 1969 report. Seems that the Apollo 11 mission extended the
> WSAR midnight signoff time for Sunday night and "You may be interested to
> know that you are the only member of your club, or any club, to receive
this
> verification under our existing broadcast schedule." Was a member of NNRC
at
> the time.

Wow!  That was only a few months before I started there, and I've never
heard of Bill Parkhurst.  There was Hal Schofield who was in his 60's at
that time, and Ed Juaire who was Director of Engineering for Knight Quality
then and for many years after.   Also another engineer there was Duane
Burnham who now is half owner of a marine radio company near Providence.
Also a John Lambis who did engineering and production work.  And Bob ...
forgot his last name.  Bill was gone by then.

I do remember setting their Providence local exchange number to auto answer
so I could listen to the direct AP audio feed for the Apollo 14 mission from
home.  That was much better coverage than was available on TV at the time.
I moved up to WAAF-107.3 and WAAB-1440 right after that.  Then back to
Providence at WICE-1290 and others.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI