Re: [IRCA] TA season, BOGs etc etc

I've read with some interest the lack of performance of the super-long BOG
antenna.  Loss seems to be the spoiler.  Typically a fairly small gauge wire
is used, even down to a #26.  I have to wonder if a larger wire - maybe even
a #14 - would help?  I know there are ground losses, but the pure resistance
of the small wire has to have some effect.

Many years ago I was given a couple of rolls of small gauge stainless wire.
I ran this stuff everywhere in my yard, but it never did anything.  When I
was 14, wire was wire.  I knew from nothing about resistance.  But I did
note that a 50' length of copper wire worked far better than an equivalent
length of that stainless stuff.

Anyone ever do a side by side comparison of small vs. larger gauge wire?

Craig Healy
Providence, RI