Re: [IRCA] Missionary from Kiribati

> Kiribati is pretty rare here these days.  Back in the late seventies
they were a regular staple as VSZ Tarawa....Too noisy these days.

They no longer make it to the east coast, the way they did
in the 1970's. Maybe a dozen DXers heard them in the NE
US, including myself, in 1971, from Long Island. Not
sure if this is due to worse conditions, higher noise
levels, or power reduction at the tx site.

> WD9INP/4 wrote:
>
> > Donnie,
> >
> > We had LDS the missionary pair coming out to our house until we
started back
> > going to church. Pair of gal missionaries. One was from Austria, no
great
> > deal. Other one was from Kiribati. She was surprised and pleased
that I knew
> > of Kiribati and the pronunciation of the place.

Cha Ri,  ask your missionary friend about reading
the paperback "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" by Maarten
Troost, a european fellow who, with his wife, spent
two years on Tarawa not too long back, a really
funny and interesting read. Now he has another
book out, he did the same thing in Fiji and Vanuatu.

The place is pronounced "keer-ee-bas" because that
is the closest they could come to saying "gilberts"
(Gilbert and Ellice Islands) in gilbertese. Or so I am
told, by those seemingly in the know. As you know, the
Ellice group became Tuvalu, notable for being the
one place in the world first expect to be submerged
totally by rising sea levels as the polar ice _above_
sea level continues melting (due to natural long term
recurring weather phenomena).

When I sent my taped report to Tarawa-844 the v/s
Alan Robins was able to identify the announcer I
recorded, as having come from Funafuti island,
now part of Tuvalu.

- Bob