Re: [IRCA] TA on the west coast

At 15:58 06/08/2006, you wrote:

> >The late Roy H. Millar in Western Washington ... first Issaquah, then
>Everett ... had some success with TAs. >Back when I did a 5-minute MWDX
>weekly tape for Radio New York World Wide, one of the highlights was a
> >piece of audio Roy taped from Estonia (IIRC) on 1034.
> >
> >John Callarman, Krum TX
>
>I am quite sure that it was, in fact Tallinn 1034 to which
>you refer.
>
>Another of Roy's loggings that I recall reading in DX News
>was Beirut on (then) 836. I am fairly certain that GPN
>believed these loggings to be auroral doughnut-hole.
>I think Roy had loggings of Egypt as well. These were
>unusual logs, even for him, and were not by any means
>common.
>
>I have all the IDXD pages from 1958 through the mid
>sixties, so with some research could probably find
>more detail on what he heard.

Those interested in this topic might check IRCA reprint F56
(commercial break once again; I'm always quoting reprints:  contact
Lee Freshwater for obtaining all IRCA reprints on a CD).  In 1982,
Bruce Portzer and I with assistance from Roy, Ken Brownless of Medium
Wave Circle, and Richard Eckman put together a listing of all known
TA receptions in West Coast North America, and attempted some
explanations for  them...it still makes good reading if I do say so
myself.   Quotes Bob Foxworth on possible dawn receptions of TAs too....

best wishes,

Nick