Re: [IRCA] Great Scott!! KGO 810 is testing IBOC!!!

Re: [IRCA] Great Scott!! KGO 810 is testing IBOC!!!

Hopping on the bandwagon, I'll take this opportunity to ask a question that
occurred to me.

Ultimately the IBOC plan is to migrate from the current supposed,
compatible hybrid mode to full digital.  Since digital signals lend
themselves to encryption, could the eventual objective be subscription AM/FM?

Dump the commercial advertising and compete with satellite on a fee
basis.  Blanket the countryside with myriad stations so signal coverage
would be irrelevant, just so long as some stations could be received by the
subscription activated receiver.  Lots of channels to choose from because
all the stations would be broadcasting in concert (or should I say
cahoots), or maybe in two or three separately subscribed services to feign
competition.

XM already uses terrestrial repeaters to augment their satellite signal,
IBOC could be used to do the same, sans satellite.

Just a horrible vision seared into my brain by the penetrating hiss of IBOC.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida