Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] KLTT-670 IBOC at night

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] KLTT-670 IBOC at night

> OK Craig, one more question concerning AM IBOC if you don't mind. So it is
> the adjacent KDKA that helps prevent good WBZ IBOC at night since it
> interferes with a sideband where the digital signal is. So, I ask, what is
> the long term plan for IBOC on AM, will it always exist in the current
> digital analog hybrid form, or will the analog be turned off and the
digital
> signal put on channel so as to cause less interference ?

The long term plan is to make obsolete (and useless) every analog radio.
The goal is to eliminate the analog portion and migrate the digital to the
assigned frequency rather than the adjacents.

I suspect one of two things will happen.  First, HD Radio fails to gain
enough radios out there so the analog must continue.  This will eventually
doom IBOC on AM as the current scheme isn't acceptable from either a
coverage or interference aspect.  Second is that there are enough receivers
for iBiquity to claim significant penetration.  They will then press for an
analog cutoff date.  Of course, it will have to have *every* radio station
on board at that time.

Whichever way it goes will be messy.

Personally?  I don't think people are going to bother buying radios.  How
many of you have actually even seen an HD Radio in someone's house or car?
It's a month into 2006, and this is pretty much the make or break year for
it.  Some wag stated that if HD Radio doesn't gain traction by the end of
2006, it turns into AM Stereo in the public's view.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI