Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] KLTT-670 IBOC at night

Re: [IRCA] [ABDX] KLTT-670 IBOC at night

> I noticed them on full power late into the evening coming thru phased
local
> WSCR. 73 KAZ Barrington IL

These ad-hoc tests of night IBOC are interesting from a DX point of view,
and should be of interest to broadcasters as well.  I tried for literally
hours to see if the night IBOC of WHAS would decode here.  Nada.  Great
analog signal, but never a blip of HD audio in those hours. Even with
WEEI-850 nulled, and a partial null on WCRN-830.

As a DXer, it's discouraging that this current hybrid scheme will never be
useful.  You just can't hear a digital signal at any distance.  I have also
tried for many cumulative days to hear WOR and no joy.  A couple of short
bursts at sunset, but nothing else.  Their analog signal is nearly 100%
useable.

For broadcasters, I would be concerned about the decreased coverage.  In the
case of WHAS, I have to think that the adjacent signals simply skip in and
squash their peanut whistle digital carriers.  This is plain at sunset with
the WBZ-1030 IBOC being chopped up to the point where it is unuseable.

Out of curiousity, is there anyone else on the list that has a HD radio?

Craig Healy
Providence, RI