Re: [IRCA] SPR4 audio

Thanks Walt. You are right to a point out  as the audio in the 2.3 kHz
mode (AM) is also muffled on the R8. That is why I use the ECSS in 2.3
kHz. That works great. The SPR4 is worse though.  But the older
receivers never had ECSS. They had SSB which works well for Hams, but
taking regular AM (MW) into SSB, you get very weak audio which is hard
to copy. I never was a fan of DXing in SSB on older receivers as I would
lose too much audio in the process. The newer receivers like the R8
series apparently must have  some extra audio amplification. Now my old
SP-600 worked very well in AM at 2.3 khz. The crystal phasing would
really clean up muffled audio. I love the skirts on the crystral filter
on the SPR4, but too much muffled audio and bass. I still need try the
"EQ" application. The regular wide crystral filter for the SPR4 is 4.8
kHz, but I think it may be closer to 4.0. Maybe the problem is the 2.3
kHz one is running less than 2.3 too.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin