[IRCA] Saturday October 20 - TransPacific Note Book - Victoria - PT2

   As others have noticed, it was a pleasantly lively morning at the dials
with a combination of stellar Japanese, Korean and Chinese reception -

> Using a old school notebook approach to things today (by request) - my
> YouTube video channel needs to some fine tuning; better audio and
> continuity for starters.
>
> ************* PART TWO ****************
>
> FREQUENCY     UTC       STATION    Observations
>
> 936 khz  1330 on - Chinese language (I think...)  with a couple of passes
> - but for some reason getting ravaged by splatter.

    945 Khz  1330 on - Same as above but with slightly different
programming - Chinese
    954 Khz 1330 on - JOKR Tokyo - unflinchingly holding the channel with
Japanese
    963 Khz  1330 on - Russian at times - good levels but not as present as
// 1323 khz
    972 Khz 1330 on - HLCA Korea - in an AGC stressing / high fidelity
presence - at times the most throbbingly powerful signal on the band.
    1008 Khz 1330 on - Japanese on a couple of passes
     1017 Khz 1400 on - This is an enticing channel - on more than 1
occasion it sounded like Not Chinese, Not Japanese and not Korean with a
more organic, rustic home ground sound -- fleetingly at good levels with
poppy music and a female sign songy DJ -- I dream of my first Philippine
station coming out of the blue... but not today.
     1044 khz 1330 on - Chinese or even Japanese here with a fairly solid
signal - CRI I think.
      1053 Khz 1330 on - another major source of enticement and flirtation
- this is a tag team of Japanese and "other" on here - with the absence of
last years mega jammer, it is a good channel to hang on to and hopefully
harvest something different.
    1062 Khz 1330 on - a gnarly het but little beyond syllables hither and
thither.
     1089 khz 1330 on - as above with largely imaginary hints of Japanese
talk on here.
      1098 Khz 1330 on (and on...) another "fascinator" this channel held
out solid hints of Chinese in a pile, often 2 - 3 maybe 4 deep + a hefty
carrier from the Marshalls - never a dull moment on 1098 - which can get
very dramatic at sunrise.
      1107 Khz  1330 on - another wrestle-fest channel but no stand outs
this morning
      1116  Khz 1400 on - a pleasantly solid 4BC Brisbane with English
talk-news with other stuff below poking away at it
      1134 Khz 1330 on - solidly Chinese with signals wrestling with
Vancouver
      1143 Khz 1330 on - BEL3 Taiwan with crazy levels - probably amongst
the best signal I've heard with continuous Chinese talk
      1152 Khz 1330 on - Pretty sure I heard some Japanese murmurs on the
way to somewhere. For me, 1089 through 1206 is the most congested part of
the dial for trans-pacifics with something on virtually every channel.
      1179 khz 1330 on - Solid "grinders" here most of the morning hitting
1180 but not much in the way of breakthrough audio.
      1188 khz 1419 - my notes say "Japanese!" Who am I to argue with my
own notes!?
      1206 Khz 1330 on - Usually a pretty solid signal here on multiple
passes - Chinese (I think...)
     *1215 Khz 1354 and 1419 UTC - a VERY solid signal here with continuous
pop music - at VERY Good levels occasionally - this now in the
MYSTERY-WATCH file! *
      1242 Khz 1400 on - Assuming JOLF Tokyo with earnest and pedantic
Japanese chat (see what I did there? - I don't speak Japanese but thought
it sounded pedantic...)
    1287 Khz  1330 on - JOHR - reliable as gravity - usually the third most
"present" and powerful upper band TP and the loudest upper band Japanese
station by a long shot.
   1296 Khz  1352U - My notes say "Japanese!" Alrighty then - JOTK is the
sole NHK1 purveyor here...
   1314 khz 1345 on - there was a pretty solid signal here for the duration
and my brain says Japanese - definitely took deep dives frequently
    1323 Khz  1330 and on - Russian at times at some pretty big levels but
not a lot. Some mornings this station really honks - not this morning.
    1332 Khz 1353U - Japanese....
    1368 Khz 1310 various through around 1350 - some rat-a-tat Chinese talk
and then a sombre fanfare around 1348/1349U  - JIXI Radio?
BIG GAP...

    1467 Khz 1351U - my notes say "Music..." just sitting here in the
middle of nowhere. OK
    1503 Khz  1352U - NHK1 - no surprise, this is pretty common and fared
quite well this AM
     1557 Khz 1354U - quite a seriously good signal this morning with a
Chinese dialect but not the typical strident simplified clean sounding
mainland Chinese
     1566 Khz 1330ish and on - AGC thumping signal with Japanese over the
half hour - amazing signal.... BUT
    1575 Khz 1330 - 1400U Gut busting loud with Khmer - kaBoom AND there
was something/someone talking underneath!
    1593 Khz 1415 - I think it was an all Chinese showing this AM

PHEW: West Flag // 80-10 End fed FED through a home-Brew
MISEK/LANKFORD/RATZLAFF phaser / WELLBROOK FLG100 head amp.
DRAKE R8 X 2
--
Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
<http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -