Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-10

Hi Chris,

<<< Your song on 603 Hwaseong is actually an *old* type of Korean rap music. It's by Leessang from back in 2009. Korea was a whole different scene and different culture way back then. It actually came out the very month I moved to Korea. >>>

Wow, thanks for the information! Of course, I'm no expert on Korean music like you, but I greatly appreciate your assessment on the songs and artists on both sides of the border.

<<< A curiosity though: do you guys only get these signals in a short window of time each day during the Asian nighttime hours or is it more widespread time-wise? (I'm assuming the former and not the latter). I was wondering how good 603's signal would be when they're at 250kw, but I think you don't get TP at those hours anyway. >>>

You would probably laugh if you could see the very brief period that the Korean signals build up in strength during our local sunrise enhancement period, then crash down to nothing soon after they hit their peak. In the case of both 603-Hwaseong and 657-Pyongyang the first hints of an audio signal appear around 1100 UTC here on most nights (0400 local time) in October, but they usually are very weak and trivial (typically staying near carrier level) until local daybreak. Depending on whether the propagation is good, bad or ugly, the daybreak boost can either shoot them up to an S9 level within 15 minutes, or something weaker, or nothing at all. In any case, if you have a sudden S9 signal from Korea (with the exception of maybe 972-HLCA or 1566-HLAZ) you can be sure that the signal is going to nosedive within a half hour, so you better have your recorder ready. During exceptional sessions (especially on ocean beaches) both 603 and 657 can stay in strong audio for over an hour after daybreak, although here in this mediocre location you would be lucky to get 20 minutes.

As you know, Hawaii is in a completely different propagation league, and even the Seoul metropolitan jammers can stick around for hours starting at 0800 UTC in December.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)