Re: [IRCA] Old school logging

This is an interesting discussion.

Seems to me that logging is another part of the hobby where there is no one ârightâ or âbestâ way to do it.  Weâre all doing this because itâs either fun or we donât have anything else to do.  Either way you need to find a way to keep track of what you hear thatâs âfunâ and adds to your enjoyment of the hobby or you wonât keep doing it.

An Excel spreadsheet is a very powerful tool â you can do LOTS of things with a spreadsheet.

BUT there are some things that you really aught to be using a database for.  One is making your logs available on-line.  If thatâs not important to you then you can stop reading.

For me itâs a satisfying part of the hobby - not only are my âlogsâ just sound samples of what Iâve heard but I also get a kick out of figuring out how to coax MySQL, PHP and HTML to show what I want to show in the way I want to show it.

An example:  http://realmonitor.com/am_logs_qh9.php

Thatâs not for everyone, I understand.

It is also true that HOW you DX dictates HOW you LOG.  I use a Perseus and very often use Mestor to record TOH and other pieces of an hour.  So Iâve ALWAYS got some recorded audio to work from.  I call it TiVO DXing.

I have found over 35 years of working with âprogram peopleâ at VOA that there is NO amount of text or verbiage that can adequately describe or validate a reception when compared to actually hearing it.  There MAY be some notes required to put the recorded audio in context but thatâs just another âcolumnâ in a spreadsheet or table element in a database.

Besides, with a recording youâve got permanent record and can let others help in IDing something you canât.

Seems to me that if there were one place [website] that could handle anyone's loggings and sounds in various formats then that might be a useful option.

I used to âhostâ our cityâs Little League teams website.  Over the nearly 10 years that I did the job I devised ways to show schedules, pictures, results via form input from the coaches and even a testing module for prospective umpires.  When I stopped doing it I thought the organization would struggle to replace me.  They quickly found a site on-line that did all that I did and more for TONS of sports teams all over the country and became just another one of their customers.

People donât do things like that for free though â they do it to make $$ â even though what they charge any single customer might not seem like much.

I have not looked at things like mwlist.org <http://mwlist.org/> as a place for putting my loggings but from what Tim Tromp has described it might be a place to consider.

There may be others and Iâll bet hams have developed some solutions to this that might be adaptable to DXers use as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill Whitacre
Alexandria, VA