[IRCA] WOOW-1340 license revoked? WNCT-1070 50/10 CP

Mike Hardester wrote:

>With apologies to Mark Twain,  I fear that the reports of the recent demise
>of Radio Station WOOW in Greenville are premature. :-(
>1340    WOOW    NC      Greenville      5/27 @ 1440 ELT
>Station noted with talk, gospel music and male announcer. ID as "You're
>listening to Joy 13-40, WOOW, Greenville." Also, slogan as, "The People's
>Station." :-)
>I was probably within 20 to 25 miles (open road) of the tower location
>(35.616111 N, 77.370556 E, per FCC listing) before the station was clearly
>audible. Presumed station in Wilmington (spots for Wilmington area
>businesses) was dominant until as noted above.
>Even for 1 kw, I would have expected a wider coverage area, perhaps
>decreased power for some reason.
>Remember, you heard it here first.
>         Very 73 de Mike
>Mike Hardester
>On the road in Eastern North Carolina
>2002 Highlander with imbedded antenna

Mike,

My colleague in crime, fellow retiree from VOA up here, pointed out the
same thing. It looks like WOOW (from FCC AM Data Base) has no license.
My colleague got a copy (from FCC via the official site) of renewal
request and said it was prepared very sloppily, with callsign requested
as "DWOOW" (sic). Co licensed WTOW-1320 Washington (NC) is still
licensed and still on the air. So it's all a big question mark about
what their status is.

WOOW-1340 is still on the air, and if it's anything like KWK-1380 Saint
Louis it will be until the last breath and the FCC has to send out
Federal Marshals to kick the station off.

Now, about WOOW-1340 coverage, it's up here right in the "finger" of 0.5
mmho/meter soil conductivity that stretches in here from up and out
west. This is about the lowest conductivity you'll see in the FCC Ground
Conductivity Charts. It really reduces station coverage. It sure was a
new thing for me having lived for a long time in a 30 mmho/meter area or
on coastal waters. Even here in Grifton, 16 miles s. of Greenville, WOOW
isn't solid on top 1340 at night.

Same colleague pointed out that WNCT-1070 Greenville (NC) has gotten a
CP for 50/10 kW DA2. I haven't checked SDXM yet.

Not likely, I pointed out, because the CP is for the same transmitter
site as for the present 10/10 kW DA-2 operations. And that is on land
that is being heavily encroached by urban development in Greenville.

It would seem to me that they could sell the present land to developers
and move the new site toward Farmville (NC) and still come out money
ahead. I was doubting that they could get the present site re-licensed
for much longer.

Don't think FCC is doing its homework. Lights are on, but everyone's on
annual leave.

That's mah guess, take it or leave Bro. Hardester, sez Ah. You kin ask
mah buddy over here, ah tell you. Ah was jest talking with him jest now,
sez Ah...."

That's how Mark Twain would write it, +/-.

Chollie

--

          ------
Charles A & Leonor L Taylor