Re: [IRCA] NPR and IBOC

Pat,

We do NOT have free enterprise in the broadcast industry in the U.S.; the idea to remove corporate owners from AM and FM is to encourage ownership by smaller, independent companies with ownership limits similar to those in place for LPFM. We should encourage ownership of broadcast stations by companies which are not controlled by Wall Street, and whose policies are not dictated by excessive and unrealistic profit margins, negative attitudes on localism (especially on hiring locally born, raised and/or trained air talent), and would not treat the listener as a second-class citizen. Public radio has done a better job of reporting national news (with local inserts) and providing quality programming than commercial, for-profit companies have done in recent years.

True free enterprise is allowing a multitude of companies to compete in the broadcast business, not two or three.

73, Eric (N0UIH)