Re: [IRCA] Late dx

Don,

Even in the early 80s, Hawaiians were all over the dial here. You could
listen to KMVI on a pocket transistor radio. But those days are gone. It
isn't the stations either, it is conditions. The Pacific just does not
have the punch anymore. I picked off every Hawaiian in a few years in
the late 70s/early 80s. 1540 and 1460 were the lardest as I remember. I
have them all, except for a call letter change or two, but I doubt I
could do it now. Now if Pacific cx ever get back to what they were,
maybe. KMVI creamed KOAC night after night after night. What was a KOAC?
Not an issue here on the coast. Even when KMVI was 1 KW they still
creamed KOAC. But the spark is not there anymore. Yes, I still hear
Hawaiians, but not night afternight. I remember in 1970 when
WEEI-590-Boston ran a test. I had a heck of a time logging them. I did,
but it took everything to do it. Why? Because of KGMB running load
modulation at S9+20DB knocking out everything on the channel. KSSK is
not too common these days. KTOH 1350? Yes, another strong one. KQNG-570
pops in from time to time, but not with the punch they had. I have the
same antenna to the same tree, different wire now and to the same branch
from 1981.  The temination is the same. The nulls are the same, but the
conditions aren't.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin