From: Doug Pifer [mailto:oregon4wd@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 4:46 PM
To: IRCA Group Email America
Subject: [IRCA] Re: KFI Tower: from KFWB'S Website 19 Dec 04

Small Plane Crashes into Radio Tower, Killing Two; Station Knocked Off Air

LA MIRADA (AP) 12.19.04, 11:30a -- A small plane crashed Sunday morning into a radio station tower, killing two people aboard and temporarily knocking the station off the air, officials said.

The single-engine Cessna plane struck the KFI Radio tower about 9:49 a.m. and the tower tumbled to the ground, said Andrea Hawkins, a dispatch supervisor with the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Television footage showed the 900-foot tall red-and-white tower in pieces on the ground surrounded by plane wreckage.

A man and woman were pronounced dead, Hawkins said. A small fire also was extinguished.

KFI was off the air for about an hour following the accident, said Leslie Lotto, an editor at the station.

A telephone call to the Federal Aviation Administration was not immediately returned