To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:23 AM
Subject: [IRCA] WNTP DX Test report.

What follows is an overview of my report to Rene Tetro on the WNTP DX Test.
I want to add my public appreciation for his efforts in conducting this test

I am located in Boca Raton, Florida, some "990" miles from WNTP. My
receiving set-up includes an NRD-535D receiver, a pair of LF Engineering
active vertical antennas (an H-800 and an M-601) mounted at 15 feet,
separated by 25 feet and phased with a Quantum Phaser from Radio Plus+, and
then through a JPS ANC-4 Noise Canceler (now a product of Timewave). This
rather strange arrangement lets me almost totally suppress local noise from
TV, computers and the dreaded X-10 light dimmers. The antennas fit nicely
on the flat roof between my house over the patio and garage. This is almost
as spacious as my back yard, which explains why I don't use long wires.

This was my first participation in a DX Test and not as organized as it
could have been. Only after I had recorded to a digital recorder the full
hour plus, did I discover from the file date/time stamp that the recorder
clock was not correctly set. The times I reported had to be based on an
estimate of when I started the recording. I'll do better next time, I
intend to record WWV on the other stereo channel to guarantee accurate times

Over all conditions were noise with slight static, and primarily WDYZ -
Radio Disney from Orlando, FL, fading in and out, mixed with a muddle of
unidentifiable other stations. A strong signal on 980 (sounded like
Jamaican, I'll have to do some research on that) was splattering onto 990,
forcing me to use USB and some bandwidth maneuvers to clean up the signal.
The level of noise gradually rose during the period of the test. I was only
able to copy the sweep tones, though I did hear them several times. One
time, for only a couple seconds, at ~00:46:45 ET, I heard some band music,
but not enough to identify.

After 00:50:00 some extreme splatter was all there was, not even Disney
getting through until right before the 01:00:00 hour and the end of the test

I attached two MP3 audio clips of 15 seconds each, which were the two best samples of my reception.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, Florida