Re: [IRCA] Xmas Gifts Warning

My review of the Pogo Products, Radio Your Way (RYW) radio/recorder was published in the Nov. 27 issue of IRCA DX Monitor thanks to the efforts of Nick Hall-Patch.  Karl Zuk recently offered his opinion of the device, best summarized as unfavorable.  Let me provide a couple bits of information which may help people make up their own mind on this product.

I have heard that the first edition of the user's manual for the RYW was almost undecipherable.  This would seem to be supported by Karl's experience.  The manual has since been completely rewritten and for the last several months accompanies each new RYW.  This version of the manual is also available in PDF format from the manufacturer's web site.  Where there may still be confusion, the on-line FAQ and the user forum - which is monitored and replied to by manufacturer representatives as well as RYW owners - is a valuable resource of additional information and support.

Also since the first RYW was delivered, an update to its internal programming has corrected some areas of complaint from early users.  All new RYW's now come with this update, older units can be upgraded by the manufacturer for a modest fee.

The RYW does have a lot of features packed into a limited space, which by necessity means operations must employ sequences of buttons to accomplish set-up and programming tasks.  But I think these operations are no more difficult than with many other sophisticated electronic devices.  How many people have difficulty setting the clock and programming their VCR?  Well, essentially, that's what you're doing when setting up the RYW scheduled recordings.  On the other hand, operating the RYW - playback and recording - are quite straightforward and can easily be accomplished by sense of touch while walking or jogging, as intended, even more easily when on a desk top.

I've been using my RYW with great success for many months.  I admit, for some operations rarely performed, I do refer to the user's manual to accomplish the tasks.

I hope this added and updated info helps.  And I echo Karl's Merry Christmas greeting.

Curt