[IRCA] mystery station on 690

Driving to work at sunrise this morning, I had the radio tuned to 690 trying to identify a station that was way down in the mud. A couple of times, I heard the announcer identify with two letters: W-B or W-E or some combination of the letter W followed by a letter that rhymes with E, obviously not a legal callsign, but probably a nickname of the callsign or somesuch.

There was not much content --- some news and sports and ads. I thought West Virginia was mentioned once or twice. The only station on 690 in that state is WELD. Could they have been identifying WELD as W-E? I dunno. CKGM took over 690 about half way to work, so that is all I heard.

Does anyone have a clue of what I heard? (I was traveling through central Connecticut at the time.)

Stan, WA1LOU