[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 25-31, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT` during EST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire; FRG-7 with NW-SE shortwire

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page42

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2749-USB, Dec 29 at 0246 UT, robo-YL in English with marine weather, S9 but about equal to noise level; includes wind forecasts in knots, gale warning. CCG website shows starting at 0240 UT is VCS Halifax via site in suburb Sambro: ``Technical marine synopsis, forecasts and wave height forecasts for marine areas 201 to 214. Notices to Shipping in South Coast Nova Scotia area. Notices to Shipping revising the position of every reported offshore exploration and exploitation vessel`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 530, Dec 29 at 0253 UT, R. Enciclopedia, CUBA has some distorted QRM, so is K530AM, Vance AFB out of order? By 1900 UT it`s normal and alone (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 800, Dec 28 at 1340 UT, KQCV OKC is OFF! As of 1625 UT check, OG&E System Watch has more than 57K outages across central OK; more than 8000 in OKC proper, many more in suburbs, including almost 4000 in Mustang, close to the KQCV site (and 1254 in Enid, but so far only a few power glitches here). 800 still off 5 hours later.

Even when KQCV is actively gospel-huxtering English in the evenings, gospel-huxtering in Spanish can be heard along with it, no doubt the super-powering TWR 800 BONAIRE.

XEROK 800 is still negligible but supposedly on the air at very low power. The new 2015 IRCA Mexican Log still has it as 50/50 kW, no mention of any degradation; likewise the new 2016 WRTH: despite numerous non-logs from myself and others the last several months (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 800, Dec 29 at 1325 UT, KQCV OKC is back on, and probably considerably earlier, having been off at midday yesterday. Didn`t get anything useful in its absence (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Dec 29 circa 1900 UT, KETU Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is OFF; weather-related? Maybe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, Dec 30 at 1925 UT, Spanish, with OSU PSA and 918 area code, so KETU, Sperry/Catoosa/Tulsa, La Ketà is back on following yesterday`s outage (more reliable now that it`s not just music fill, but still subject to absences for no particular obvious reason like power failure) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Dec 26 at 0145 UT, ``Today`s Best Country, 12-10 KGYN``, into Xmas music. Guymon 10 kW station is back to old trix, failing to protect Philadelphia at night as has been the case for a few nights now. They still have a CP for 50/39/10 kW, which if it ever happen, will give them the option of cheating with 50 kW non-direxional night as well as day. Why not? Other stations get away with it, like KNZZ 1100 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, Dec 29 at 1354 UT, nothing but fill music on this now-talk station until 1400 UT sharp, no ID and into CBS News; steady groundwave already over the graveyard, certainly our nearest, WBBZ Ponca City. Talk after the news probably Beck (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1460, Dec 29 at 1531 UT, I`m still not hearing KZUE El Reno, and may have overlooked its absence since the latest ice storm. As of 1815 UT Dec 29, OG&E Systemwatch shows 3168 customers in El Reno powerless (and 875 in Enid, but never us, whew! Circa noon ice is crashing off tree branches, temp barely reaching unfreezing).

Instead on 1460, still skywave at 1539 UT Dec 29 from KCLE, mentioning Burleson during buy-and-sell call-in, 817 area codes, Old Texas Brewing Co., et al. Same show still going at 1620 UT, mixed with another English station with sports talk, perhaps nearest KKOY Chanute KS, but could even be skywave still from KXNO Des Moines IA.

Closer to local mean noon I seek KZUE again at 1900 UT: just a mixture of weak low-noon skywave, so KZUE is definitely off (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 1460, KZUE El Reno is still AWOL, Dec 30 at 1919 UT on caradio: power still out following Dec 26-27 icestorm. Instead weak mix of skywave signals, one with football talk.

1460, Dec 30 at 1929 UT, ESPN Radio and at 1930 UT CCI from station mentioning Burleson, missed ID for an FM; 1953 UT C&W music.

Burleson and C&W is certainly KCLE a.k.a. Cleburne TX; nearest ESPN on 1460 is KXPN, 5 kW ND in Kearney NE. (KCLE used to be ESPN till it flipped to The Outlaw last May; KBZO Lubbock TX is ESPN, but Deportes, i.e. Spanish).

KZUE is still missing Dec 30 at 1812 UT check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) And Dec 31 circa 1900 UT

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1640, Dec 28 at 0316 UT, KZLS Enid-OKC is open carrier/dead air yet again; some weak talk underneath and at 0357 UT, probably WTNI Biloxi MS. KZLS still dead air at 0630 UT and still at 1350 UT. We have an ice storm around here with considerable power outages, but the site east of Hennessey obviously has power; just can`t get any programming, a very frequent situation when there is nothing untoward to explain it (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. ANOTHER ice storm has hit us. In Enid, anyway, it`s not as bad as the Thanksgiving one. Icy limbs but all the leaves are gone now, and the weakest were already broken. But there are still a lot of power lines down elsewhere
After 1811 UT Dec 28, on caradio, AM:
 800, KQCV OKC is still off
1280, KSOK Arkansas City KS, just across the border, is the only other notable absence on midday groundwave
1640, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC is dead air again
 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1640, Dec 29 at 0255 UT, KZLS is again/still in dead air with hum. See USA for KBJA, WJSP logs. Still open carrier/DA at 0720 UT, 1407 UT, and 1900 UT chex. It`s really amazing how many hours are wasted this way. How does KZLS make any money, retain any listeners? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 700, Dec 30 at 1923 UT on groundwave, Spanish religion, so KHSE Wylie TX. so far heard only in Spanish despite broadening format to ETHnic (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Dec 26 at 0158 UT, ``La Fabulosa 8-30`` ID goes by, so WFNO Norco LA retains such a monicker. I am also trying to split off the het I`m getting on 830.5 or so without success (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1100, Dec 25 at 0252 UT, Colorado ads way over WTAM, making fast SAH, Xmas music; KNZZ ID for sure at 0334 UT, Grand Junxion obviously cheating again with 50 kW ND at night. It does fade from time to time on caradio, but not enough to clear the channel for Cleveland (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Dec 25 around 0230 UT, Mannheim Steamroller`s `American Christmas`, annual special carried on many US MW stations, this one being KFAB Omaha, at times overridden on caradio by IBOC from 1120 KMOX peaking at 1107 kHz. Maybe there will be more airings Xmas day/night? Pushing their new recordings, of course. I enjoy their music and almost went to one of the two MS roadtour groups` appearance recently at the new Enid Event Center, but decided the price was too high, and I`d have to bring my enclosing-the-ears headphones to deaden the dBs, thus also killing the hi frequencies, like I had to for ``Tops in Blue`` by the USAF (free). No other audio control by audience in an arena! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, Dec 31 at 1350 UT, Qur`an bits alternating with talk (translation?) in non-Arabic language, maybe Punjabi or Urdu, from 50 kW KVTT Mineral Wells (Metroplex) TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Dec 26 at 1354 UT, open carrier/dead air from KLEY Wellington KS on groundwave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Dec 28 at 0323 UT, open carrier/dead air from NE/SW, surely my semi-local KLEY Wellington KS, supposed to be 250 watts daytime and PSRA, ONE WATT at night. Ditto at 0634 UT, but by 1343 UT it`s recovered (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1280, Dec 29 circa 1900 UT, KSOK, Arkansas City KS is back on, having been missing 25 hours earlier. I don`t think the Arkansas River is flooding this far up, but it certainly is by the time it gets to Arkansas State.

Pronunciation guide for non-natives:
Kansas the state: KAN-zuss
Arkansas the state: AR-kun-saw
Arkansas City, Kansas: ar-KAN-zuss SIT-ee (or just ark-SIT-ee)
Arkansas River, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas: AR-kun-saw
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, Dec 26 at 0143 UT, ads for something in Vegas(?), so I perk up in case this is all the way from Nevada --- no, next ad is for Monahans, so KCKM must have been referring to Pecos (pay-kuss), next town down I-20 (and not Vega TX either, which is too far away, west of Amarillo) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Dec 30 at 1926 UT, plugging AM-820, covering the state of Ohio, Catholic call-in from EWTN. I.e. the former WOSU disposed of by Ohio State, now WVSG with 6.5 kW in the daytime. But this 1360 is KPHN El Dorado KS, close enough for marginal groundwave but stronger than usual so some boost from skywave? Holding its own against the local KCRC spur/het from 1390 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1390, Dec 27 at 1354 UT I find that local KCRC Enid is off! No severe winter storm has hit us yet. An improvement over mere dead air they were broadcasting for hours a few nights ago, so what else can I get? Just after sunrise (if we could see it!), so some skywave still. NW/SE gets some C&W music, later at 1350 UT blues with YL singer and piano; NE/SW gets something talking. I have to turn on a VCR by 1355 UT in preparation for CBS Sunday Morning (which KWTV has shifted to KSBI due to continuous winter storm coverage on main channel), and the VCR radiates blocking noise on the NW/SE angle.

So I keep on the NE/SW station, can`t pull any IDs but 1400 UT Fox ``News``, 1405 UT national ad with 800 number, 1406 UT into `Smart Living with Larry Ahrens` from BizTalk Radio. Says the show originates in Albuquerque. I do find that on the BizTalk pdf schedule grid (due for changes in January), for this hour on Sundays, via
http://affiliate.biztalkradio.com/Programming-Schedule
but the ``affiliate resources`` do not include any list of them! Proprietary info, I suppose. Unfortunately, neither BizTalk network, nor Ahrens show are among those referenced in the 2016 NRC AM Log. Nothing specific about affiliates searching on his name; he`s an alumnus of KKOB 770.

1390, KJPW, Waynesville MO, looks to be the very likely source, in fact called `The Source` in NRC AM Log, affiliated with Fox news, but can`t find an own website as it`s insignificant among a sextet of co-stations at
http://www.myozarksonline.com/2015/03/27/select-your-station-here/

It`s our `next` 1390 station to the northeast. Unlike very direxional KCRC, KJPW is ND day and night, 5000/111 watts, PSRA 500, but now it`s definitely Day. The two 1390s in Arkansas are both Spanish.

As for the music station on 1390, these two are most likely by proximity and listed format: KNCK, Concordia KS, OLD; KBEC, Waxahachie TX, C&W - Texas Classic Music. By 1625 UT check, KCRC is back on, shux (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Glenn, I think KNCK 1390 is oldies or something similar, but not country. They don't stream so I can't confirm. Could you have had KBEC Waxahachie, TX? Both radio-locator and wikipedia list KNCK-AM as oldies, with wikipedia even listing a slogan "1390 Memories"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNCK_(AM)
(Paul B Walker, Jr, AR, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Dec 28 at 1346 UT, KOKC OKC talk with severe interference, often atop it, and almost zero-beat, from C&W music: must be KYND Cypress TX, and 1349 UT conveniently breaks for ID in American English, ``1520 KYND``.

This is one of the stations which had been relaying China Radio International, but no more, as discussed on WOR and DXLD (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1806, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Viz.:

** U S A. 1520, Dec 31 at 1336 UT, C&W music making slow SAH atop KOKC OKC, then ID ``1520 AM KYND`` from Cypress TX, ``now living in Londale`` (?? I don`t find any similar place in greater Houston) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

G&E STUDIO/CRI PROGRAMMING GONE FROM DOMESTIC U.S. STATIONS?
It appears that G&E Studio, which was affiliated with China Radio International, might have lost funding from its arrangement with CRI and has discontinued its leased broadcasts on stations in the U.S., including KYND 1520 and KGBC 1540 here in the Houston area. Much discussion of this on the RadioDiscussions.com Houston board.

KGBC is now running Hum Tum Radio, a South Asian targeted format produced in Houston (and also heard on 106.1 FM here) while KYND is running music fill while it searches for another programmer to lease time on the station.

This new development might have something to do with the Chinese government's reevaluation of its international media efforts as mentioned by Keith Perron on this forum a few months back.

The G&E Studio website is still there:
http://gestudio.us/

Glenn, you have frequently reported hearing KYND during critical hours (daytime only station) so look for something different underneath KOKC (Stephen Luce, Houston, Texas, Dec 22, dxldyg via WORLD OF RADIO 1805, DXLD)

This CRI relay deal thru a ChiCom front organization in the US got a lot of negative publicity a few months ago, after the FCC had turned a blind eye to it. So now the question is whether CRI has also disappeared from several other cities, e.g. 1120 in Washington DC, 1540 in Philadelphia, etc. Even 1540, Toronto?

As for KYND, its pattern is supposed to be a circle tangent eastward, groundwave to interfere with the Lafayette LA station, not KOKC, which remains self-degraded at only 10 instead of 50 kW, since a tornado broke one of its towers last May; well, how long to replace it if they are ever going to?

Here`s a LOT more about the CRI situation from Radio Discussions Houston board.
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?691609-KYND-Cypress-Off-the-Air
b-turner is obviously someone in charge of KYND: (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Our programmer cancelled their programming. While we could have gone live at the studio, we wanted a more 21st century option. And certainly getting stuck in the mud at the tower site was a given but maybe not after a couple of dry days. We needed a couple of days and a piece of equipment to pull that off, so in lieu of airing silence or being stuck in the studio the whole time, we shut down until we got our ducks in a row. In fact, I met with our engineer yesterday (both of us visiting family and it just happened to be the same city, minutes away from each other), and I was able to pass of what he needed from me. I see the piece we needed came in and we're up.

>From my understanding G&E Studios created most of the programming heard on the English version with a few from China Radio. When China decided to stop things, G&E had to cancel us and I understand all of the English language stations they were on throughout North America. Like usual, no matter the terms of a contract, when cancellation comes, it is always without warning, unexpected and not a win-win for any involved parties. In fact your client might not know until the final moment as well. That is simply the nature of the business.

Finding a new qualified programmer sometimes feels like trying to win the lottery. You don't know them, how to find them and they don't know you, but whn everything aligns, somehow you connect. Meanwhile you are painfully aware of the revenue loss (b-turner, Dec 21, radiodiscussions.com Houston via DXLD)

Yep, everything is changing. And I can see why. Cost for one thing, younger audience more adept to listening via network services rather than over the air, also. Portable devices these days aren't a traditional radio of course, they almost all have internet connectivity now. I wonder if the openings on SW will attract some new blood? I don't see the bands going to complete waste, nor do I ever see them being what they once were, just impossible with today's world, and I don't see the ham bands getting extended either, just not that crowded.

So is this re-evaluation of China's radio efforts due to the same thing that's going on everywhere, or does this have something to do with the news stories recently about Chinese Radio and their government propaganda machine? Bill have you heard anything about why the cancel of the programming? (Chris, KF5JMD, Dec 22, ibid.)

Allow me to try to explain a bit about the CRI deal: G&E Studios is an American company that had a client, China Radio International. G&E leased stations and placed programming on them. Some programming came from CRI but much originated from American hosts (using Los Angeles Air Talent) who did shows on subjects like technology, sports, financial and other subjects. G&E was hired to do this by CRI.

After 5 years, the funding for this was stopped resulting in G&E no longer having a client and a bunch of stations they leased mow needing programming and a new paying client. I suppose the Chinese 'reevaluated' and dropped the ax. It is my understanding the English language version was stopped everywhere in every city G&E leased a station to carry the programming. This would not be a just Houston thing. I really enjoyed having G&E as a client, really nice people, understanding and very reasonable in their dealings, a truly rare find (b-turner, Dec 22, ibid.)

Possibly anything to do with this, I wonder? BTW: As I said before I liked the programming.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6752877/feds-radio-chinese-ownership

``FEDS INVESTIGATE RADIO BROADCASTER OVER ALLEGED CHINESE OWNERSHIP
11/3/2015 by Associated Press

This site`s story about it makes it out to be a "Covert" Radio Network, LOL..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3302100/Investigation-launched-emerges-California-firm-s-radio-broadcasts-backed-Chinese-government.html

``INVESTIGATION LAUNCHED INTO COVERT CHINESE RADIO NETWORK BROADCASTING IN 12 U.S CITIES AND BACKED BY THE BEIJING GOVERNMENT

I spent a lot (100's) of hours listening to 1520AM KYND while I worked at my shop, and can say that yes, some of the programming from G&E/CRI was obviously hand picked by the Chinese Government, along with the fact that a lot of the big news stories involving China mysteriously were just left out of the programming entirely. But still it was a good listen, and informative (KF5JMD, ibid.)

Interesting posts. "G&E Studio Inc is 60% owned by state run Chinese Radio International"; "The company leases stations and air time". G&E does not own stations from what I know (and I sure don't know it all). The Daily Mail article clearly says that: G&E does not own any U.S. stations, but it leases.

So, let's clarify: you rent a space to open, say a hair styling salon on the corner of a busy intersection. You pay the rent and attend to your customers at that location. My question, does the salon operator own the building? Next question: Is the salon owner leasing the space from the building owner? If you rent/lease a home, do you own it?

I think it might be fair to say 60% of their revenue came from the client China Radio International. What I find interesting is how a naturalized citizen can be foreign ownership. Sure, they could be a 'front' but a citizen is not [sic] a citizen.

For the record, I have never seen, spoken to or dealt with Mr. Su. If he was leasing the station I manage, I think I'd know it or I'd have some contact at some point over half a decade. I have known of the people I dealt with prior to them coming to us about the lease. In fact they had been involved in radio in Houston.

Covert is really a funny way to describe things since most of the programming came from independent air talent in the Los Angeles area who were hired to do shows on topics like finance, sports, entertainment and such.

They would have been very covert if they were still on by making fun of the Miss Universe blunder and how Mr. Harvey's post misspelled Philippines and Colombia. Scary covert stuff indeed. My point is most all programming I heard was the same sort of stuff you'd hear elsewhere on the radio dial.

It is true the English language programming, while mostly originated in Los Angeles, was paid for through CRI who hired G&E Studios to originate programming and broadcast a couple of shows off of CRI's English Service. Even the news originated from Los Angeles air talent, was simply rip and read, with local weather and traffic added.

This would be akin to the BBC hiring an American company to place BBC programming on stations in the USA and authorizing that company to originate programming of interest to the American public. The BBC is known as a state broadcaster (b-turner, ibid.)

Yep, that's me jocking from my cheap studio at the house. That's what I get for being an old top 40 jock back in the day when you only spoke over the music and shut up before the lyrics began. We were having some problems today and the engineer will be out there in the morning to see why what couldn't go wrong did.

I mean we are talking something like turning on the radio, then you walk away from it 5 minutes and for some reason without human intervention, it turns itself off. All you can do is scratch your head, turn it back on and watch it for a while to see if it does the same thing. Then again, if you watch it, it never messes up. It waits until you are not watching it. Or at least that's my experience with equipment that is to do what it is supposed to do (b-turner, Dec 22, ibid.)

G&E Studio is still on in Atlanta (WJTP-890). Its the ONLY foreign station in this market on in English. I used to enjoy listening to Nikki Lee's program till they took her off (Lou KF4RCA Johnson, Dec 29, WORLD OF RADIO 1806, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540.08, Dec 30 at 1310 UT, het upon dominant signal KXEL on the R-75. I measure it down to here, and on the DX-398 it`s about two clix (80 Hz) above KXEL, furthermore looping NNW/SSE, just right for KGBC Galveston TX, and with South Asian music; 1316 UT YL in English welcomes us mentioning 106.1 --- so that clinches it, KGBC reported in RadioDiscussions to have replaced G&E/CRI relay with ``Hum Tum Radio`` // 106.1. WTFDA Database has no such 106.1 listing for TX, but this one is in the market:
K291CE KLTN-HD3 106.1 SUGAR LAND TX 0.19 kW 29.4456 95.2855 Spanish
KLTN is full-power on 102.9 in Houston, ``regional Mexican`` format. By 1318 UT, KEDA is gaining on 1540 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Dec 31 at 1329 UT, R. JalapeÃo is dominant signal, ID in Spanglish from KEDA San Antonio, with a constant LAH: manÅvering the DX-398, I am trying to decide whether KEDA is the one off-frequency, to the hi side. No, it`s further east, like from KGBC Galveston as I thought yesterday, tho I can`t pull any South Asian audio from it today. By 1348 UT, KXEL is starting to appear, and making a sub-audible het with KEDA, i.e. both very close to on-frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, Dec 29 at 1403 UT, flood warning for SE Missouri and adjacent states, ``Talk Radio 100.3`` IDs, temp for Cape Girardeau, so KAPE, 5 kW day power, the AM simulcaster not worth mentioning. Per NRC AM Log, 100.3 is a mere translator, K262AX, so no longer branded as ``Cape 15-50``. Not many cities are lucky enough to match call letters with (part of) their name.

Silent KLFJ Springfield remains out of the way for us to get KAPE beyond. Never mind the Okies on 1550. When skywave is gone on 1550, we get KYAL Sapulpa vs KKLE Winfield KS. Flooding along the Mississippi around St Louis could lead some AM stations legitimately to run day facilities at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1640, Dec 27 at 0110 UT, KZLS Enid-Hennessey-OKC is in dead air again, as a winter storm is approaching, scared silent? So I can hear some music playing under the carrier, unlikely stupid sports-talking from WTNI MS; tweaking the NRD-545 tuning for tight bandwidth and passband, past the KZLS carrier, 0130 UT Spanish announcement, ``disfrute la diferencia``, 0131 UT ad with an 801-area code, which nails it as the SS Utahn, KBJA Sandy. This had been DKBJA for a while, Deleted by FCC, but now the D is gone, so they are apparently {Undeleted, UKBJA?} legally on air again. Nothing helpful about this in their Correspondence File at AM Query (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1640, Dec 29 at 0255 UT, local KZLS Enid is still/again in dead air except for hum, facilitating pulling other audio around it on the NRD-545, with antenna angle minimizing, narrowed bandwidth and passband tuning just right:

Spanish show with marriage advice; 0259 UT closing with 801-AC phone number for Patricia, i.e. UTAH, until semana entrante, so a brokered weekly program. 0300 UT sharp, ID in Spanish as ``KBJA, 16-40-AM`` and then in English, ``KBJA, 16-40 AM, Salt Lake City``. Not sure if they mentioned SLC or Sandy in Spanish, but as CoL, Sandy is supposed to be in legal IDs. Meanwhile I was also getting WSJP in WI (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1640, Dec 29 at 0255 UT, while mainly hearing Spanish from KBJA UT, better on the N/S antenna I am also hearing English, prayer to Jesus, and Xmas music, no doubt WSJP Sussex WI, now Alabaman Catholic with EWTN; tnx to dead air from local KZLS, pulling audio around it with narrow bandwidth, PBT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Caradio bandscan Dec 30 starting at 1918 UT finds skywave in play half a sesquihour after local mean noon, including:
1620, at 1918 UT, ``The Zone``, i.e. KOZN Bellevue (Omaha) NE
1510, at 1921 UT, football game, fades up and down, KCTE Independence MO, also with lo het, so must be on its off-frequency transmitter now. This het is just a bit higher-pitched than the one on 1540, at 1928 UT
1540, at 1921 UT, low audible het, like I was getting at sunrise from KGBC Galveston TX (vs KXEL IA likely)
1660, at 1921 UT, sports talk, probably KWOD Kansas City KS, tho ND and TX are also sports
1700, at 1922 UT, sports talk about Iowa over TexMex music, i.e. KBGG Des Moines IA and KKLF Richardson TX.

See also separate logs: OKLAHOMA [non] 1460; USA 700, 1360 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---