Re: [IRCA] 3.7 Inch "Baby FSL" Receives S9+ TP-DX

Thanks for your generous comments on the "Baby FSL" experimentation, Nick.

<<<ÂÂ It's good to see that someone is putting the
lousy conditions to good use.ÂÂ >>>

The conditions certainly have been lousy, but somehow 1566-HLAZ showed up with the best signal it's managed here all season aroundÂ1305 UTC (0505 PST) Saturday morning, right after the all-night FSL construction work.ÂDefinitely not exotic DX, but quite the shockerÂduring initial antenna testing.

<<<ÂÂ Can we anticipate a competition
between you and the manufacturers where the next ultralight has the
same size ratio to the 3.7" FSL as the present Skywave does to the 17"FSL?ÂÂ >>>

The Chinese manufacturers generally don'tÂshow much innovation themselves in Ultralight radio development, but depend on the innovativeÂSiLabs' DSP chips for breakthrough receiver performance. In the case of the CC Skywave, it's obvious that C.Crane custom-designed the model for assemblyÂby their Redsun partner in China, and thereby managedÂsome breakthrough DXing performance. I doubt that the Chinese companies will ever be motivated by the innovative professionalism shown by Sony and Panasonic in the 1970's and 1980's.

<<<ÂÂÂÂÂ I notice from the Ultralight group that you plan eventually to
directly connect the little FSL to the internals of a small
radio. Â That should prove very interesting.ÂÂ >>>

Yes, the "hard-wired" FSL concept is not new, but the idea of making it in a practical, lightweight size for portable, Ultralight radio-mounted use certainly is. The challenge will be to pack enough sensitivity into the tiny, hard-wiredÂFSLÂdesign to allow itÂto successfully compete with the 7.5" Amidon loopstick transplants. Nobody has ever tried this before, and theÂfinal resultÂcould go either way-- one of the fascinating challenges which make electronic experimentation so interesting.

73,ÂGary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

Nicely done Gary. Â It's good to see that someone is putting the
lousy conditions to good use. Â Can we anticipate a competition
between you and the manufacturers where the next ultralight has the
same size ratio to the 3.7" FSL as the present Skywave does to the 17"FSL?

I notice from the Ultralight group that you plan eventually to
directly connect the little FSL to the internals of a small
radio. Â That should prove very interesting.

best wishes,

Nick