[IRCA] Western Shore Loggings 29 Nov

--- Begin Message ---
Michael, your receptions are pretty similar to stuff I'm hearing about 300 miles down the coast from you.

Saudi 1521 is a flamethrower up and down the East Coast.  Reception two hours pre-sunset, at least near the shore, is not unusual.  Here's a recording from a few years back here on the MA coast:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/audio1/dx_saudi_arabia-1521_20060503_2300z.mp3

Germany 1422 always has the electronic sounder and Deutschlandfunk ID by a woman right before the top-of-hour pips.

On 1575 there is both Radio Farda and an Iranian that is battling it.  Sort of like the Radio Marti and Radio Rebelde 1180 shoot-out in the Western Hemisphere.

The Iranian is actually a few Hz on the low side of the channel last time I checked.

Italy and Spain are other things that pop up on 1575.

1593 has been Romania more often here than anything else lately though there is the lower powered station in northern France (Bretagne Cinq as mentioned by Jim Renfrew) that might have a shot.  Not sure if Kuwait 1593 is still around.

When you have Romanians on their main network coming in (start with 1179) look for a gaggle of parallels such as 855 (mix Spain), 909 (mix UK), 1053 (mix UK & Spain + high-side Libya), 1152 (mix Spain), aforementioned 1179 (with Spain + Canaries), 1332 (mix Iran), 1404 (mix France), 1458 (mix UK), and 1593.  If those guys are running music while co-channel other stations are in talk, that makes it much easier.  The 909 station is usually 20 dB under BBC Five Live, but if it's playing pop music especially with a female vocal, it can be heard.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<