Re: [IRCA] Quoddy House 6 DXpedition - Nov. 15-21, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
I notice a bigger inland-versus-shore drop-off on deep Africans and Brazilians than on European stations.

When Lesotho 1197 was a full power BBC relay, it sometimes hit S9+20 at Granite Pier in Rockport, MA ( http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/pictures1/rockport_dx_map.gif ) but could barely muster a noisy S-5 where I was then living in Billerica, MA, about 15 miles / 25 km inland on that bearing.  Same receiver (Drake R8A), same car roof antenna.  Difference something in excess of 35 dB.

I had Botswana 909 from the Tonset Road - Orleans, MA DXpedition site ( http://chowdanet.com/markc/pictures/orleans_dxsite1.gif ) but never from a house site even with substantially better antennas.

Fortaleza Brazil on 760 often booms in at Orleans, Rockport, etc. but only heard once or twice (poorly) at Billerica - one hour drive from Granite Pier - and just occasionally at the house here in South Yarmouth (to fair quality) with only about 3 miles / 5 km of land in the way.

Meanwhile, UK stuff like 909, 1089, and 1215 only seems to be 15 dB or so down at inland sites.  This is probably because UK is closer (~3000 miles instead of 5000+) and the incoming skip angle higher above the horizon.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Thanks for sharing this excellent report Bill and congrats for your logs
and recordings of Ethiopia and Eritrea. How I would love to hear them
here ... As for Botswana, in my wildest dreams maybe? I generally have a
hard time with the African continent here inland.

Sylvain Naud
Portneuf, QC
www.quebecdx.com

--- End Message ---