[IRCA] HAWAIIAN REPORT

My wife, DX-398 and I spent the last two weeks in Kailua - Kona on the west coast of the Big Island. All Hawaiian AM stations were audible. Comments:
1. KRTR-650 was off the air from our arrival 10/26 through 11/5. It was noted back on with Filipino programming on 11/6.
2. KEWE-1240 was the weakest of all Hawaiian stations 10/26-11/5. On 11/6 it was noted at good level, comparable to other Maui stations. I believe I read in someoneâs earlier post that they were temporarily operating at reduced power. My guess is that they got the 5kw rig operational. Format is Christian Contemporary. IDs are frequent.
3. KHBC-1060 Hilo is off the air. Confirmed during our visit to Hilo.
4. KKON-790 was the only local. It carries ESPN and usually has a hum on its signal.
5. KHNR-690 is the strongest signal out of Honolulu. Format is talk. Promotes itself as âThe Answer.â
6. KPHI-1130 was one with which I had no familiarity. Filipino programming with frequent mention of its 96.7 repeater. Not a very potent signal. I do not see it cutting through CKWX and KRDU with any regularity.

As soon as I find my notes, I will report on what I heard outside of the Islands.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010