[IRCA] Masset DXpedition: Part 2

Appears that I went over the (IMHO) silly 35 kB rule once again with my
DXpedition report.  So, I'll do it in 3 parts, instead of 2.  Here's part 2:

738 PHILIPPINES Philippine Broadcasting Service Bulacan NCR 40 kW DZRB, Oct
18 1550 - I'm quite certain that I heard this station this morning with
Tagalog talk, with some English words.  Fair to good reception.  No ID, of
course, but no other Filipino listed on this frequency. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

738 TAHITI Papeete 20 kW Radio Premiere Polynesie, Oct 19 1422 - Good
reception with lovely Polynesian music and clearly in Tahitian, and not
French.  Best heard on the DKAZ.  Excellent reception on recheck at 14:41,
but now in French, and then back to Tahitian, although the French appears
to be ads. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

740 HAWAII Kihei 5 kW KCIK, Oct 19 1340 - Immaculate Heart Radio
tentatively mostly under very strong KCBS with religious content.  A
tentative  logging, heard only using my DKAZ antenna aimed at Hawaii.  As
expected, reception improved markedly after LSR in California, and good
reception with Immaculate Heart Radio IDs at 14:17 UTC.  Interesting that
KCBS came back to dominate briefly at 14:20 (LSR over northern
California).  Excellent reception at 14:45.  Continues at great level at
15:00 where there's a super brief ID for 'KCIK, Kihei, Maui', and then back
to network programming. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

747 SOUTH KOREA KBS 1 Bia, Gwangju 100 kW HLKH, Oct 16 1549 - The NHK 2
network signed off today at 15:40, leaving the channel clear.  Up to very
good reception of the Korean.  With 500 kW for JOIB Sapporo, and 100 kW for
HLKH, I wonder how they avoid QRMing each other?. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

774 JAPAN Akita 500 kW NHK2 JOUB, Oct 23 1422 - English lessons about when
it is not polite to ask for a doggie bag.  British have an aversion to do
so.  Waste not, want not in Japan.  Portion sizes are far too large in the
US, etc.  When first tuned in, barely audible, which is very unusual.
Instead, there was a cancophany of stations co-channel.   A disturbed
morning, I suspect.  At 14:26, I think I can make out a Filipino  station.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

774 JAPAN NHK 2 Akita JOUB, Oct 19 1547 - I haven't noticed this before,
but watching the Perseus waterfall, both 774 and 828 (JOBB Osaka), cut
their transmitter at 15:47.  Perhaps a new energy savings measure, or
transmitter maintenance?. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

774 PHILIPPINES Ilollo City 10 kW DYRI, Oct 22 1547 - Great!  Previously,
I've been hearing DWWW, but just caught the sign-off of DYRI, with call
sign, power, location, etc in English, followed by the National Anthem.
Part way through the NA, DWWW came back at very good strength!  A bit of a
mushy signal, which I think is due to the 2 (or more) stations being a
little different in frequencies.  I suspect KYRI was on 774.027, while DWWW
is on 774.004.  If I really zoom the waterfall, I think there are actually
5 carriers measuring:  773.997, .999, 774.005, .008 and .027.  An
interesting frequency, for sure!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

774 PHILIPPINES Quezon City 25 kW DWWW, Oct 22 1534 - At my local dawn (LSR
15:29), there was a huge boost of signals, and especially from Japan, but
also the Philippines.  774  JOUB is a 500 kW powerhouse, of course, from
Akita, but for a while DWWW was giving it a good run for it's money.  I can
still hear them underneath JOUB.  Assuming that the NHK2 network will sign
off in a few minutes (15:40), and then turn off their transmitter, we
should be able to hear DWWW well this morning. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

774 PHILIPPINES Quezon City 25 kW DWWW Music of Your Life, Oct 20 1624 - A
presumed logging with 50s/60s American vocals.  Good reception, with weak
cochannel(s).  Once again, JOUB (and other NHK 2 network transmitters)
turned off their transmitters shortly after signing off at 15:40, leaving
the frequency open.  Rechecking at 17:36, several hours after LSR (10:36 AM
local), still playing the same genre of music at fair level.  Addendum:  I
went back to listen to my mp3 from the 7030+.  At 15:45, there's a long
monologue about the program, 'Just For You' with announcer George ? and
then, 'right here on DWWW 774'.  In the clear with fair signal. (Salmaniw,
Masset, BC)

783 VIETNAM Voice of Vietnam 2 (tentative), Oct 16 1554 - Fair to good
reception with a female vocal.  Sounds Christian, but further listening
leads me to believe it's most likely the 2nd program of the Voice of
Vietnam with 500 kW listed from Thoi Long.  Time pips at 16:00, but fading
out making this a tentative logging. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

801 UNID unid, Oct 19 1512 - Very good reception of Unshackled or similar
program in English.  Faded away by 15:30, so no local IDs heard.
Possibilities here are:  KTWG Agana, New Zealand's Rhema in Nelson, or
possibly a Filipino.  More digging needed to ID this one!  I reviewed the
Grayland Masterlog, and there are a number of references to KTWG with
American religious programming, so I suspect it's them. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

810 JAPAN Tokyo/Yokota AFB 50 kW AFN, Eagle 810, Oct 17 1452 - Often
excellent reception with typical AFN music fare.  What was interesting, was
that it was // to AFN Japan on 1575, which also was very strong. (Salmaniw,
Masset, BC)

810 NORTH KOREA Kaesong 50 kW Pyongyang Bangsong, Oct 20 1553 - A very
strident male, which is why I presumed it to be North Korea.  No sign at
all of AFN Japan, but wait a minute, and sure enough he's there becoming
the dominant station.  The fun of MW TP DX!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

819 NORTH KOREA Pyongyang 500 kW KCBS, Oct 23 1455 - Excellent reception
with their standard musical fare.  As opposed to the Japanese stations that
have been somewhat anemic this morning, the Koreans seem very strong.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

846 PHILIPPINES Radio Veritas Quezon City 50 kW DZRV, Oct 20 1557 - Good
reception with Tagalog preaching.  Faded down a bit to have the NHK 1
network dominate, and some Chinese as well.  Unfortunately TOH, they had
faded down.  A presumed logging. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

882.404 NORTH KOREA Wonsan 250 kW KCBS, Oct 17 1433 - Presumed them on this
way off frequency, interfering with another station right on 882.000.  A
very good Korean morning noted today. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

900 HAWAII Kahalui Maui 5 kW KMVI, Oct 18 1447 - Fair to good reception
with PSAs for Maui and Hawaii, and then ESPN ID.  Pretty regular all
morning, and when checking the overnight Perseus recordings, they were
there as well. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

900 HAWAII Kahalui Maui 5 kW KMVI, Oct 19 0528 - Nice reception tonight
with lots of local ads.  Interesting that they are well heard on the DKAZ,
and ALA 100, both aimed SW (and NE/SW). (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

940 HAWAII Waipahu, Oahu 10 kW KKNE, Oct 17 1405 - Just poking in adjacent
to KTKN splatter, but with some more domestic cochannel. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

972 SOUTH KOREA Dangjlin 750/1500 kW KBS Hanminjok Bangsong HLCA, Oct 17
1439 - Superb reception all morning from this blowtorch. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

980.733 UNID unid, Oct 17 1639 - Wonder who this could be.  A reasonably
strong carrier on this listed frequency which went off at 14:42:30.
Ideas?. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

990 INDONESIA unid, Oct 17 1600 - Highly tentative.  Before the ToH, I was
hearing what sounded like a Filipino, mostly well over JORK in Kochi, but
afterwards, after the time pips, I was sure that I heard Djakarta
mentioned.  On the mp3, it's the woman who dominates after the time pips
briefly.  You can still hear the other woman, who I believe is the
Filipino.  Unfortunately, she spoke very briefly, before going into
music.   Hmm. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

990 PHILIPPINES unid, Oct 17 1545 - Three Filipino's are listed here, along
with several Indonesians.  Very interesting as JORK Kochi with 10 kw (an
NHK 1 station) battles it out with the Filipino.  Kochi was // to 999 and
963.  I'll have to dig a bit for any IDs on this one!. (Salmaniw, Masset,
BC)

990 PHILIPPINES unid, Oct 17 1535 - Almost certainly a Filipino dominating
the frequency, except for one other station with music.  Tagalog talk at
quite decent levels.  3 are listed:  DZMT, DZIQ, and DYTH.  The other
stations seems to be a Chinese station, which by 15:38 started to push out
the former.  More digging to get an ID needed.  Later in the half-hour,
towards 16:00, NHK1 JORK Kochi, with 10 kw, started to dominate with world
weather, with many parallels, of course, including 999 with many 0.1 and 1
kW transmitters, but right at 16:00, the Filipino returns.  I suppose it
could also be an Indonesian, as they both have similar styles. (Salmaniw,
Masset, BC)

990 PHILIPPINES unid unid, Oct 17 1537 - Several Filipino stations are
listed here, as well as a number of Indonesians.  Reception was quite good,
cochannel with JORK from Kochi, Japan, but mostly well over.   Very
distinctive female voice with lots of laughter.  I'll need to post to Real
DX for a positive ID!. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1017 TONGA Nuku'alofa 10 kW A3Z Tongan BC Commission, Oct 20 0157 - In the
clear with Tongan talk.  Not super strong, but able to make out the
language.  Measured about 6 Hz on the high side.  Not quite as strong as
the last few days, but adequate. (Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

1017 TONGA Nuku'alofa 10 kW  A3Z Tongan BC Commission, Oct 17 0619 - Quite
good reception with presumably Tongan by a male and female announcer.
Modulation for a change is actually quite good.  Faded down into the mud.
Nothing really identifiable, however.  Faded back up nicely at 06:25.  At
same time, I'm seeing and hearing very weakly 1503, 1485, 1035, and 1008.
Some are perhaps, NZ as the northern part of the country is in darkness.
(Salmaniw, Masset, BC)

73,  Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC