[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, and NM, September 18-24, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during DST; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or N-S random wire; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page38

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA,Âunidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 640, Sept 20 at 1224 UT, English non-sports talk show about events in OKC, two guests giving their websites, http://openstreetsokc.com and http://historiccapitolhill.com
ending `Sunday Morning Magazine` at 1226 UT and back to something about sports, from KWPN Moore. This was duplicated on 930 WKY, q.v., about two minutes earlier, and probably on other stations of same cluster. I had heard this many times on WKY but never noticed it was also on KWPN. KFI easily avoided this late (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 800, Sept 19 at 2207 UT, open carrier/dead air from KQCV OKC; cuts back on with gospel huxter in progress at 2214 UT; meanwhile I had checked their FM 95.1 and it was still modulating, and after 2214 UT but not //. Standard remark about stations broadcasting dead air for more than a minute being unworthy of their licenses. If they can`t have at least one human constantly listening to their own stations, and in emergency control if needed, how can they expect anyone else to? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 930, Sept 20 at 1223 UT, usual English pubaffs show breaking from La Indomable Spanish music format Sunday mornings circa 7 am CT.

I then find the *same* show playing about 2 minutes later on 640 KWPN, q.v., which is a sibling station, the only two AM Okies licensed to RADIO LICENSE HOLDING CBC, LLC. On FM, they have: 98.1, 98.9, 100.5 and 104.9. I`ll have to check those sometime for more of the same English show, `Sunday Morning Magazine`. I did think it a bit odd for their SS station to have this one English show (plus ads as needed) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 1240, Sept 21 circa 2110 UT on caradio, usual SAH between my two closests, KFH Wichita KS and KADS Elk City OK, timed at 240/minute = 4 Hz. The one on top, not sure which, mentions CBS Sports Radio, a network which is not listed in 2015 NRC AM Log as among those either be affiliated with. The sports network biz is getting more and more convoluted, as stations are not necessarily exclusive with any one network. Both these are sports talk, ESPN probably primary. The roster of CBS Sports Radio stations, however, http://radio.cbssports.com/stations/
does include both KFH and KADS! (KADS` former format was --- you guessed it? Classified ads; before that, KBEK, for Beckham County, when it was a real, local radio station {even with DJs, in 1960y}).

BTW, KFH is (voluntarily?) downgraded to only 630 watts instead of the usual 1000 for graveyarders (looking thru the NRC AM Log, there are quite a few others at less than 1000 now; why?). (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===============

** U S A. 620, Sept 18 at 0603 UT, KMKI Plano (Dallas) TX is OFF, Mark Sills says for 2 or 3 days, pending sale from Disney to Salem and likely change of calls, and presumably new gospel-huxtering format, exactly what The Metroplex needs! I just heard XEBU with NA and apparently off, so now what?

At least two other US stations. Sports-talk from the NW/SE, which leads to KJOL Grand Junxion, 5000/79 watts [sic]; OR WJDX Jaxon MS, 5000/1000 watts. Also roughly NE/SW, someone playing ``Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini``, maybe WAKY Louisville KY, 500/500 watts. AND CUBA, q.v. There are really few 620s in center-America (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 620, Sept 18 at 1832 UT, at our exact local mean noon, during a storm here, usual poor but steady daytime groundwave signal from KMKI Plano (Dallas) TX, no more Radio Disney. Ad for something in 972 area code, Salem promotion.

Mark Sills in The Metroplex tells me it came back on today about noon CDT there = 17 UT, after a few days off to complete the sale to Salem, and that it`s duplicating one of their FMs, KWRD 100.7 but running about 60 seconds behind it! So now we have an FM adding an AM relay. KWRD-FM is 96/96 kW, 606/606 m HAAT licensed to Highland Village, Christian talk format {and one of the stations Rick Wiles recently bragged about adding for his [non]TruNews[non]}. KMKI is 5/4 kW U2, and per NRC AM log, both IBOC and AM stereo â will either continue?

FCC`s Consummation filing shows ABC completed sale of KMKI on Sept 15, but the document does not show to whom!
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/cdbsmenu.hts?context=25&appn=101687682&formid=905&fac_num=49320
But we know it`s Salem. However, the main listing for KMKI (no call change yet) now shows licensee as one word: INSPIRATION (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 690, Sept 20 at 0600 UT, open carrier obviously still coming out of KGGF Coffeyville KS after their normal 0500v* UT sign-off with patriotic song and Taps. I guess it can stay on all night, altho sometimes it seems to be completely off. Maybe it depends on the temperature/humidity/dewpoint at site? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, Sept 20 at 1213 UT, ``Live in Las Vegas`` talk show from ``K-Dawn``, 257-5396 = KDWN, also asking for tweets, on subject Syria could become a proxy war between USA and Russia. Really, live call-in at 5 am Sunday --- I guess so in a city that never sleeps. Per gaisma.com, today`s real dawn in LV doesn`t start until 1301 UT, and sunrise at 1327. Enid`s sunrise is 1218 UT.

Better signal here than on 840 KXNT which I got first prompting me to try 720. Once again, not in keeping with KDWN night pattern of a cardioid null toward WGN, rather than ND day pattern; or do I enjoy a propagational pipeline from LV NV? See also 1140 UNID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Sept 20 at 1210 UT, discussion about the market for something in Nevada, so KXNT North Las Vegas again, quite contrary to their day or night pattern as I previously explained. Then I get 720 KDWN too, q.v. Are both of them out of whack or am I extremely lucky with a propagational pipeline? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060.0, Sept 21 at 1209 UT, continuous ranchera music seguÃs, no announcements to 1222 UT, unless one occurred during 1213 UT fade. Loops WSW/ENE, no QRM. We know it`s not KIJN Farwell TX, which was religion, off-frequency, and confirmed last week as silent while close by in NM and TX.

That leaves KXPL El Paso TX, 10 kW daytimer, 500-watt PSRA, per NRC AM Log 2015, as ``SS:NWS/TLK -- 0800 ET-LSS -- `Radio El Paso-JuÃrez, con su mÃsica```, rather contradicting the initial format info (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, Sept 19 at 2210-2216+ UT, open carrier/dead air from KLEY Wellington KS, still as I tune out. Unknown if or when resumed, but Sept 20 at 1228-1230+ UT still/again OC/DA! Standard remark about stations broadcasting dead air for more than a minute being unworthy of their licenses.

At this time by nulling it I can still hear KWKH Shreveport LA, not with stupid sports talk but with a gospel huxter! breaking format on a Sunday morning, but 1229 UT back to plugging LSU sports and ``1130 The Tiger`` non-ID, rejoining ESPN Radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, Sept 23 at 1248 UT, fund-raiser from Fargo, 877-93-FAITH = 933-2484, mentions `Coffee Club`. No ND on 1270, but must be 5 kW KNWC Sioux Falls SD. This page confirms it`s in a network with ``Faith 1200`` in Fargo ND: http://myfaithradio.com/programs/
A semihour after Enid sunrise at 1220 UT, and tuning up the band, skywave is gone below 1 MHz, but Iowans 1040 WHO and 1540 KXEL are still in (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Sept 23 at 1252 UT, promo for ESPN 97-5 and Yahoo Sports Radio 1560, i.e. KGOW Bellaire (Houston) TX and what must be a sibling station tho rival network. WTFDA FM database shows 97.5 is KFNC, 100 kW in Mont Belvieu [sic], which is a 4 kiloperson suburb east of Houston. WTFDA displays 21! TX stations on 97.5 --- many of them translators or LPs (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 830, Sept 20 around 0627 UT and past 0700 UT as I doze and undoze, hum and pulsing sounds, apparently coming out of WFNO Norco LA, not WCCO, and not very Fabulous (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1010, Sept 19 at 1202 UT, open carrier/dead air, looping WSE/ENE. Maybe KXEN St Louis [ex-Festus] MO, religion, or KZTN Amarillo TX, sports. Today`s Enid sunrise: 1217 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1140, Sept 20 at 1231 UT, CCI to 1 kW ND daytimer KRMP OKC. Since I just got Las Vegas NV on 840 and 720 earlier in the hour but as lower frequencies are now fading out, I wonder whether this could also be LV? Really North Las Vegas, 10/2.5 kW U2 KXST. Unlike 720 and 840, there are plenty of closer 1140s around. I should also keep an ear on some other higher-powered Las Vegas NV frequencies: 670, 1060, 1100, 1460 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 2860 & 2440, Sept 23 at 0131, JBA carriers, hinting at MW harmonix out of 1430, 1220 or 610, calling for further digging.

The 2600 possible 1300 or 650 harmonic carrier I noted before could also be Mazara Radio, Mazara del Vallo, Italy, with weather reports, logged Sept 15 at 2155 by Carlos GonÃalves in Lisboa; presumably on AM, as SSB not specified (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---