Re: [IRCA] GeoClock

I don't know of any other program that offers so many customization
possibilities.

In the early 1990s when GeoClock was a new-ish program, John Bryant, David
Clark, and I pooled a few $$ and had Joe Alhgren (the author) produce three
unique maps for us. These were for Central/West Indonesia, Irian Jaya/PNG,
and the South Pacific. Many years later, I noticed they were added to the
usual collection of maps that comes with GeoClock for new purchasers.

Using the scripting available in GeoClock, we did extensive annotation of
the maps (using associated text files that load into the program) so that
station names, call signs, and frequencies would display on the maps in
their proper locations. By the time we were done, we had an extremely
useful mapping program for our tropical band DXing interests in the Papua
New Guinea, Indonesia, and South Pacific regions.

It was a blast to watch the sunset terminator sweep across the Southwest
Pacific, over PNG, and finally across Indonesia and listen to the DX rise
up out of the noise as sunset approached each station. GeoClock, a good
receiver, and a good antenna provided a fun way to DX through the night
during particularly good openings.

Sadly, most of the stations we added to GeoClock are now part of shortwave
broadcasting history :^(

Some screen shots of GeoClock with modified maps can be seen in this
jointly authored article on DXing.Info:
http://www.dxing.info/articles/hitech.dx  (This "High Tech DXing" article
is seems rather quaint now after all these years of receiver & computer
advancements!)

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA