From: IRCA [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Les Rayburn
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 11:49 PM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Recorded AM BCB Logs made with ELAD FDM-S2 Receiverâââ.

Welcome to the world of SDR DXing. Quite agree that the manuals (of all the SDR receivers) leave a lot to be desired. The rapid pace of development and software enhancements leaves little time to write detailed manuals, I'm afraid. Developers now seem to rely more on User Groups, forums, etc. to allow users to help each other. That system works well, but it takes some getting used to.

Allow me to share some tips given to me by AM DX'er James Niven when I started with my Elad SDR. They've proven to be very helpful. First of all, make sure that you subscribe to the Elad Yahoo Group, and update your software frequently. Enhancements and improvements appear quite rapidly. Sometimes within hours of a feature being requested by a user on the Yahoo Group! The latest software can be downloaded at:

http://sdr.eladit.com/FDM-sw2%20Software/

I successfully have mine setup for TOH recordings across the whole broadcast band.

I am still experimenting with different settings, but I seem to be happy with the file size set at 2048mb and set to 1 file.

For the recording schedule, I started with this recording configuration:

I start recording 2 minutes before the TOH 00:58, then finishing at 5 minutes past the hour, I found the file size very large.

I then tried recording from 00:58 to 00:03, so 5 minutes, still a large file but enough to look at every frequency in the AM band for TOH.

Also, how I set mine up is change the CW to AM, then the LO frequency, I set to 1120.000 kHz and the tuned frequency to 540.000 kHz. This will give you the whole AM band and when you begin reviewing your files, it will start at 540khz, this is my method and approach.

James Niven

Austin, Texas

Also keep in mind that the Elad FDM-S2 will work with more than one piece of software. This is the beauty of an SDR, you're not limited to using the manufactures software exclusively. One of the easiest to use and master software packages for SDR is Simon Brownâs SDR-Console V2 software (www.sdr-radio.com) It's free, and easier to use than most.
HDSDR is another software application that works well with the Elad. You may want to experiment with them to see if you enjoy them more.

Recommend this detailed review of the Elad as well. It's full of suggestions on how to use the software, and do some great things with the receiver. Hope you enjoy the ride, it's changed my DX life forever.

http://swling.com/blog/2014/12/a-review-of-the-elad-fdm-s2-software-defined-receiver/

--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF
Engineering Active Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector