[IRCA] Recorded AM BCB Logs made with ELAD FDM-S2 Receiver……….

Hi Guys:

 Well today was the day I decided I was going to learn how to RECORD and PLAYBACK Recordings on the ELAD SDR!!  I find the User's Manual for the ELAD quite useless and lacking in instructions for the un-initiated !! It may be easier if you have worked with other SDR's…but for a first time owner and user the Manual doesn't help a lot!! It's an amazing Receiver, but  there are so many controls and settings , and many of them are not really covered well in the Manual!!

So, after reading the Manual all I got was frustrated, so I threw it on the floor and used the good old "Trial and Error Method". I was able to record some files, but then I couldn't figure out how to play them back.  After some more looking around, I was able to figure out how to play back the files!!

It really wasn't all that hard…but with little direction to work with, you don't know where to start!!

I figured I needed some Practice and that would help cement what I just learned into my head!! I made 2 Recordings at 2000 EDT and 2030 EDT tonight. I recorded the entire AM BCB for 4 Minutes at the top of the hour and 4 Minutes at the Bottom of the hour. 2 Minutes on either side of the Legal ID Time.

Everything worked as planned and I ended up with 2 Big files to listen to!!

Took me a couple of Hours to dissect those 4 Minutes and check for anything unusual. It is really an amazing thing to be able to capture the entire BCB all at once at ID Time!!

I can see that this SDR is going to be a Great tool in the upcoming days, especially when conditions are "Real Good" or in Auroral Conditions etc……..I think it will be fun.

I learned that 4 Minutes at ID Time is probably TOO LONG to Record for. I think 3 Minutes or maybe even 2 Minutes would be better. It takes a long time to listen to 4 Minutes on each frequency!!

Anyway…I didn't get anything NEW in my first recording attempt, but conditions were not all that great and it was noisy. Here's what I did get, along with a Stiff Neck from staring at the screen for so long!!

ELAD FDM-S2 Receiver
100 FOOT Longwire

73….ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

1360  WGBN  McKeesport, PA.  Apr/07/15  1958 EDT      EE    GOOD
Black Gospel Music . Duel ID as "WGBN McKeesport/Pittsburgh - WMNY New
Kensington/Pittsburgh" @ 2000 EDT.  Into more Black Gospel Mx.

RELOG but NEW CALLS - EX-WMNY      5/1 KW
ROSS, ON.
990  UNID     UNID     Apr/07/15  2000 EDT      EE     GOOD
Christian Station with Male Talking @ 2000 EDT…but they switched to Lower Power
in Mid sentence and disappeared!!

ROSS, ON.
1310  WDPN   Alliance, OHIO  Apr/07/15  2030 EDT     EE    GOOD
MOR/AC Music to 2030 EDT. ID by Male DJ as "AM 1310 - WDPN"

RELOG…But Not heard in MANY Years!!      1 KW/480 Watts
ROSS, ON.

Of course I heard and ID'd Many other stations, but nothing NEW or spectacular
so they are not listed here. This was my Test Run to make sure I knew what I was
doing…..and mission accomplished!! Now to dig out the DX in future recordings!!

73…ROB