Re: [IRCA] IRCA Digest, Vol 131, Issue 74

Hi Rob,

Great job on the new station on the 1400 kHz graveyard channel...
congrats!! That's a super beginning with the Elad SDR.

Out here on the left coast (in the shadow of ULR guru Gary) one of my
projects in the works is a remotely tuned 12-inch FSL antenna that I can
use on the infamous Rockworks and Cape Perpetua cliffs with my FDM-S2 SDR.
The goal of the antenna is to allow me to stay inside the comfort of my
vehicle and DX. I'm not as daring as Gary, who doesn't seem to mind staring
down those approaching 18-wheelers at night on the cliff's edge Highway 101
!

This FSL will remain a single-frequency at a time antenna. I've pretty much
given up on a broad banded FSL version, after the dismal (so-so at best)
results with a broad band (untuned) approach the last two years.

BTW, you should give the freeware SDR-Console V2 <http://v2.sdr-radio.com/>
a try sometime with your Elad. One of its features is a "Pseudo Stereo"
mode that can help spread out weak DX signals in your (stereo) headphones,
sometimes making it easier to catch an ID, especially with co-channel
signals. Most of the time I find no improvement but occasionally it
provides a helpful edge!

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA