Re: [IRCA] Radio shack to file for bankruptcy

An OT philosophical discussion.....I'd be curious about the figures for electronic DIYers, Russ. Does one exclude those who fiddle with microcontrollers (see magazines like Circuit Cellar or Elektor), monkey with Linux, hack the Pentagon? It's not particularly DX or even hardware oriented, of course, but DIY I think it is. It may be a smaller percentage of the population than 50 years ago, but I wonder. I've run into younger people who work as game developers, and I don't think they started by taking professional training as game developers, they DIYed....it's just that they didn't need a drill and a soldering iron to do it.

Of course, our work world relies far less on hand oriented tech skills than it once did also. Yet, there are these "maker spaces" that allow the DIYer access to tools that a small home workshop might not have, something I might have appreciated in own younger days. (who knows what goes on in China? The fact that Tecsun put out a kit that is essentially one of their DSP ultralights on a board makes me wonder, as the market in America can't have been great)

Even in the good ol' days, far more DIYers modified their cars than played with radios from what I can recall, so we've always been a minority. But the day I heard somebody's phone cheep out "SMS" in Morse code was the day I realized that maybe at least the ham techies had taken over the world in a small way, hi. (how often do we see the schematic symbol for an antenna in a public environment, speaking of phones? That was pretty arcane stuff, something you'd see on the cover of the ARRL Handbook, when I was first making smoke with electronic components.)

Having spouted all that, I suspect there are fewer hot iron types....but the spirit that drove those types now drives different forms of technical creativity.

best wishes,

Nick