Re: [IRCA] THE CASE FOR A 2015 JOINT IRCA-NRC CONVENTION

--- Begin Message ---
Hi Mark:

I speak from experience.
I chaired the IRCA convention in 1990.
This was a last-minute hail-Mary convention when no one stepped up to the plate.
The venue was Knoxville, Tennessee.
I was a speaker at the very first Monitoring Times convention rooming with Al Weiner of WBCQ fame.
I volunteered to put together an IRCA convention and tried to meld it with MT's sessions.
Two would be better than one, right?

I thought the convention was a lot of fun.
For one, we shared the hotel with a clown convention. Priceless pictures!

I learned that you have to know your audience.
Even today, the two clubs really do have different personalities.
I never took a vote or a survey, but I had my dissenters.
Even if you are doing this from the charity of your heart and good meaning,
some people wanted a fully developed product.

Al and I set up three or four station tours.
We were hundreds of miles away from the convention location and didn't
know the first thing about the market or the players in the business.

We put together a late night DX session in a remote park.
I remember a park ranger wondering what all of us were doing with thousands of feet of wire
in the dark. When I explained we were a nationwide group and we were listening to
the radio, the ranger said: "In all my years of being up here, you are the first people who
really are listening to the radio (heh heh.)"

And I managed to endear Bob and Judy Grove to buy the idea.
We tried really hard to make this happen from afar.
I think we achieved about a B minus grade. Much better than an F or a zero...

I felt incredibly bad about one IRCAn and his friend who travelled all the way to Knoxville
and then felt abandoned when Al and I had to head back to NYC on Sunday afternoon
to make it back to work on Monday. I remember him saying that he just watched the hotel elevators
go up and down all afternoon. This was someone I really liked. Jeez.

I really feel for you and your heart.
This is one of those things that really should make sense but doesn't.
I'll be very curious to see how your idea is accepted.
We are getting older. The numbers are thinning out.
The business is thinning out and becoming obsolete.
I work in this business. Computers rule. Rough times!

Let's keep trying to get someone to grab the ring for an all IRCA get-together.
Contact me directly if you would like to talk about it.
It would be a good conversation.

My best wishes always.  Karl Zuk  N2KZ  Katonah, NY