[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 26-October 2, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page26

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 1610, UT Friday Sept 26 at 0057 UT, outro in English mentions ``8-9 pm on Thursday evenings``, snippet of ``Battle Hymn of the Republic``, phone and e-mail contacts for advertising, on CHHA Toronto. Very poor signal but audible most of the time with nothing in between except some QRP TIS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, Sunday Sept 28 at 1156 UT, rock music from KFAQ + IBOC noise, also after 1200 UT. This is supposed to be a talk station. Schedule at
http://www.1170kfaq.com/shows/lineups
shows Sunday at 7-7:30 am [CDT], `The Place for Parties`, with no further link, but I suppose that could explain the music, altho who`s partying at 7 am Sunday? (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1430 & 1450, Sept 29 at 1927 UT, exactly same classic rock tunes synchronized on these two weak frequencies, daytime groundwave on caradio from a quiet location in central Enid, Golden Chick parking lot. Each frequency has two OK stations at our periphery: 1430 with KALV Alva and KTBZ Tulsa; 1450 with KSIW Woodward and KGFF Shawnee. By format, we know which pair these have to be: KTBZ and KSIW are sportstalk, so not them, but KALV and KGFF. While comparing synchrony also with the G8 portable held out the window, I am getting a 4 Hz SAH on 1430.

(The G8 is normally my companion at restaurant lunches, but Golden Chick is a Faraday Cage so I have to sit outside just to pick up KOSU 91.7; fortunately, plenty of shade and a nice day except for traffic noise, sirens, and occasional fumes) (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. You can search using this:
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/travelers-information-stations-search
You can search by state and frequency, etc.
(Paul Walker, NRC-AM via DXLD)

So I look up the one at Great Salt Plains State Park, I have visited and reported lately, to find that nothing about the Park is mentioned in the FCC info about it:

Callsign: WQCL720
Licensee: Alfalfa County - OSU Extension Service
Radio Service: Public Safety Pool, Conventional (PW)
City: Cherokee, OK
Grant Date: 04/04/2005
Expiration: 04/04/2015
Site: 1 Address: 9 miles north of Jet, OK on SH38
City: Jet, OK County: ALFALFA
Coordinates: 36° 44' 33.6" N, 98° 7' 56.4" W
Frequency: 1.61000000 V

FCC search of TIS for OKLAHOMA finds only a few, besides the above:

WNWU499 530 & 1610 in OKC [maybe HAR for construxion areas?]
WQBX491, 1610 at Turner Falls, Davis OK, at US Hwy 77 and second site on 1670 at 13 mi NW of Ardmore
WQUB705, City of Davis, 1610 at Turner Falls, and 1670 at Davis
[these two would appear to be duplicative if not mutually QRMing]
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 620, Sept 30 at 0549 UT, teeny-bopper music, as R. Disney, KMIK Plano/The Metroplex TX continues on the air beyond what had been forecast of closedown by all but one R. Disney AM stations. It`s now been widely reported that they will stay on until each one has been sold off. Hey, 620 should go back to Wichita Falls, as if anyone wanted it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 30 at 0558 UT, SRN News dominating frequency from E/W, no doubt KHAC NM, which has been cheating with day facilities at night for some time now, soon confirmed by the local weather minute I was expecting at 0559 UT, and legal ID as from ``Tse Bonito-Window Rock-Gallup`` before 0600 UT back to Christian music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Sept 29 at 1219 UT, with KTLR OKC nulled, no problem hearing ``Sportstalk 106.1`` cross-promo, and shortly KDXU ID in passing, from St George UT, again suspected on ND 10 kW day pattern instead of direxional away from WLS at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Sept 25 at 0518 UT, YL says ``KNX News Radio time, 8:18`` --- except it`s 10:18 pm PDT. Maybe she slips, inside a 24-hour studio; or maybe KNX repeats news segment from 2 hours ago and fails to clip out the timecheck? KNX is easily heard here at night, close to right angle from annoying KLIO Wichita, always off-frequency producing fast SAH, with sportstalk in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1360, Sept 29 at 1925 UT, KAHS El Dorado KS, weak groundwave signal of EWTN station also has a low audible heterodyne when monitoring caradio from a quiet location in central Enid (parking lot of Golden Chick). Possibly a local device, but the band seems clean otherwise, so maybe one of two Texans is off-frequency: KDJW Amarillo or 50 kW KMNY Hurst TX (Metroplex), both of which have extremely unfavorable daytime patterns toward us. KDJW is another EWTN and KMNY is Spanish, but I can`t tell (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. The afternoon of Oct 2 I found myself on a brief surprise visit to Woodward OK, 87 miles due west of Enid, so did a MW bandscan to see what differed in the daytime, 1851-1900 UT. Unfortunately there were storms in the area and a lot lightning noise, worse on the low end, so not a chance for KNMX 540, Las Vegas NM, a much desired groundwave signal into OK.

1370, possibly a JBA carrier, but nothing definite from KGNO Dodge City KS. It`s only 98 miles, vs 158 to Enid city-to-city; surely a 5 kW ND signal over excellent ground conductivity should be making it here if really on and at normal power level. For comparison, 1270, KSCB Liberal KS is 95 miles away, also 5 kW ND, and has a good signal!

1400, checking an hour later at 1956-2000 UT Oct 2, old music, and 2000 ``Your Country, KEYE, Perryton``, in the NE corner of the TX panhandle, which can`t make it to Enid due to additional distance and local 1390. IIRC, KEYE was recently reported from Scandinavia in the Arctic Radio Club, but pulling American graveyarders thousands of miles is almost routine for them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Sept 30 at 0129 UT, C&W music, VG & dominant looping NW/SE. No doubt cheater KCMN Colorado Springs, as quickly confirmed by mention of ``Front Range`` and ``I-25 Radio Network``. NO WCKY to be heard; yet propagation is fine from further 1100 WTAM Cleveland (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 1 at 0125 UT, oldies/classic rock from NW/SE is dominating again, so KCMN Colorado Springs, in lieu of WCKY OH. BTW, A Norwegian DXer in the Arctic Radio Club says he has been receiving KCMN every night lately: Odd-Jörgen Sagdahl, in Hundhamaren, Norge.
It seems they don`t speculate too much over there about power-cheating, but further evidence KCMN is running 15 kW rather than 15 watts. The Scandinavians are making incredible logs of lots of little North and South American MW stations (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1741, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 2 at 0551 UT, WCKY Cincinnati OH is reaudible with Brother Scare, hooray --- as KCMN Colorado Springs is unheard after weeks of nighttime cheating. We`ll see if this stix (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Sept 25 at 0522 UT, fast rippling SAH tearing up KOKC OKC, but no modulation audible from the offender. It`s like this most of the time at night here now. Assuming it`s a daytimer leaving its carrier on at night, several possibilities in mid-America, from IL, IA, ND, SD, TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1520, Oct 1 at 0127 UT, KOKC OKC again with QRM from rippling SAH several Hz off-frequency, but no audio from it. As best I can loop it, from the NE/SW. Of the Illinois/Indiana stations, the one fitting the bill best is WHOW in Clinton IL, which is a 5 kW ND daytimer. Surely some DXers in that area can confirm whether this or some other is leaving an OC on into the night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---