Re: [IRCA] Sony XDRF1HD Radio

The convention in Salt Lake City was in 2007.

During the tour of the KSL Broadcast Center we were taken into a conference room, which had a Sangean HD radio in it. It is very similar to your Sony. It would not lock onto the AM IBOC signal.

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 00:10:56 -0700
From: Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: IRCA <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, NRC <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] Sony XDRF1HD Radio

Greetings,

A friend sent me the Sony XDR-F1HD radio. I have never tried an HD Radio. An interesting unit. The sensitivity is pretty good. I noticed Toronto 740 on it tonight.  Hooking up the 1500' beverage to the unit, I find the only station that I can get in HD is KSL-1160. They seem to pop up at times in full HD and then will fade down popping in and out with the flashing HD icon. I may try to run the beverage through the box loop and couple the Sony loop to it. It may give me better results when peaking a frequency.  Since I no longer have an FM Yagi up, I tried with the wire element for FM,  no HD locally. Only one station (NPR) had RDS. Getting back to AM, KSL is such a potent signal off the Eastern beverage, I am not surprised I do get the HD (IBOC) signal. Funny, when we visited KSL at the SLC convention in 2008, the CE said that the KSL IBOC signal could not be received in the building only 9 miles from the tx site, but it does get out on sky wave. I notice one other thing abo!
 ut the Sony IBOC. If there is any interference on the channel or adjacent it does not like it and will not show the HD logo. I doubt I will get any IBOC during the day, but who knows? At least I do get KSL.

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR
KGED QSL Manager