[IRCA] QSL COLLECTIONS

I'm a member of both radio clubs as well as a Museum Board member overseeing acquisitions for the Pavek Museum...a well-regarded home for Radio/TV history. www.pavekmuseum.org

I/we have the utmost respect and admiration for the incredible patience, work and follow-up that goes into amassing any QSL collection.

The problem that museums encounter with potential QSL-collections is what we learn from our research and acquisition-qualifications:

1. Sadly, logging a group of stations from a long distance is no longer considered unique enough to be of historical significance. At the Pavek we show what a QSL card is and what a "Verie" means to so many.

But adding a large display of QSL cards really doesn't further the information we've presented, which is this: "there are folks out there doing this, and these two items are their instruments of record. Many have amassed thousands of these cards."

That takes a minute or two...waaaayyy outside the attention-span of so many today <g>

2. A QSL collection is really a PERSONAL accomplishment and stimulates happy memories when we review our cards. As such...unless the collector is himself a newsworthy person (say, a Walter Mondale)...a museum would have no historical context in which to display the collection.

I think most other museums have found the same thing to be true.

BUT: great QSL collections should not be lost! Hopefully we can bequeath them to someone a generation or so down the line, who might then be inspired to continue the hobby!

Regards,

Mark Durenberger
DX Audio Service