[IRCA] QSL archival -was- Re: [NRC-AM] More on mergers

[IRCA] QSL archival -was- Re: [NRC-AM] More on mergers

I'd like to start a thread about verification archival, if I may,
which I suppose is somewhat distantly related to the merger thread.
I was around in the 1960's and actually still have some of the
material that circulated by mail back then. But that's not why
I write now.

Any of us who were around in the 60's realize the age issues that
we face. I had registered my QSL collection with the CPRV archival
service in 1989, but still have my QSL's today. They fairly comfortably
fit into two standard briefcases. The "good ones" along with the mundane.

On August 15 of last year I got a letter from CPRV saying in effect that
was no more interest in acquiring new collections because of so much
overlap with existing material. I can understand this, it's a hard
argument to refute.

In my own case I'd estimate that I have maybe 20 to 30 verifications
that have significant archival interest. The rest of them (hundreds)
are just like the 1 kw daytimers 500 miles away I used to hear at 6 AM
sign-on with regularity.

The consequence of this is there is no longer any means for me to seek
archival of the maybe 20 verifications I really care about as they are
regarded the same as the 1 kw daytimer sign-on from 500 miles away
verie that already has been submitted and 'registered' by others.

As I see it, I no longer have any means to archive _any_ of the QSL's I have.
This includes such as the 2-page letter I got from VSZ-1 Tarawa in 1971
which I really think has archival value. Or correspondence from Radio Swan
on 1160 in 1960.

No one I know would have any interest in spending all the time it would take
to parse them out onto eBay. As it stands, on my passing (I am 71) all
this material would be thrown out, unless I can find a recipient during
my lifetime.

Is anyone thinking about this?

- Bob Foxworth