Re: [IRCA] Seattle's 1090 Now Using IBOC

Re: [IRCA] Seattle's 1090 Now Using IBOC

Hi Dennis,
Let me see if I can remember the model number
Sony Xdr S3-HD (could be SDR, I'm going from memory.)
It's similar to an unamplified unit (F1HD), which many FM DXers use.
I use it mainly for FM DXing. I don't think it's been available since 2010
or 2011.
I agree about HD, both in its AM IBOC form and on FM, where, like AM, it
takes up two adjacent frequencies.
However, HD radios need to be selective on FM, and the Sony is both quite
selective and sensitive, which is why I bought it.
The downside to the Sony is that it "stores" digital FM frequencies, so if
an HD is off, it takes several seconds for it to register no HD on a
previously active HD sideband.
The only ways I know of to defeat this, at least for a nontechnical guy like
me, is to turn off the unit for two minutes or more, and then the memories
and HD placemarkers are erased, along with the tone and stereo settings; or,
disconnect antennas and patch cords, thus possibly weakening signals so they
don't decode.
FM stations with only the main HD channel, as well as AM stations, aren't
subject to this behavior.
Several other HD radios I've seen don't have this "feature."
For the curious, picture a 93.1 with two additional HD channels. 93.1-1 is
the main, but turning the dial once yields the space where 93.1-2 would be,
and then the space for 93.1-3.
If you've listened to those extra channels instead of rapidly tuning past
them, those empties are stored. Next time you want to check 93.3, there'll
be two extra slots after 93.1.
Hope I clarified rather than confused.
--
Rick