Re: [IRCA] Reviewing SDR DX

On 01/11/2014 12:18 PM, Russ Edmunds wrote:
So far, despite the obvious temptation, my strategy has been to resist getting an SDR.

Ditto. Reviewing overnight recordings for a single channel is a reasonable proposition, but beyond that it really starts to look like a major chore. For me, there are also other factors: cost is one, and my local noise problems are another. Those factors aside, I'm already in the land of diminishing returns, having mined the band fairly thoroughly from this location for fifteen years. These days, catching something new usually involves careful hands-on phasing of pest stations, for which an SDR would provide no advantage.

All of which is not really relevant to Les' query. :-) The best advice I can give him is to focus on the most productive periods, which are generally around sunrise and sunset, and of course unusual propagation events, which seem to be few and far between of late.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon  Ottawa, ON