 Subject: [NRC-AM] Reviewing SDR DX
 To: "am@xxxxxxxxxxx" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 12:02 PM

 I'm curious to hear how other DX'ers
 tackle "data management" when it
 comes to the use of I/Q recordings from SDR receivers. My
 SDR-IQ allows
 me to record 192 KHz of bandwidth, and using HDSDR software,
 I've
 started recording TOH periods overnight. I record about four
 minutes per
 hour, starting at local sunset and continuing through
 sunrise.

 This provides a total of 19 MW channels to be reviewed per
 hour,
 Recording for 4 minutes over a ten hour period, leaves me
 with 760
 minutes of data to be reviewed daily. Some channels are
 nearly
 impossible to find new ones on, so these can be reviewed
 quickly,
 checking only for unusual conditions. But it's still a
 massive amount of
 data.

 Since starting this just a few days ago, I've already
 deleted days of
 recordings, unchecked, simply because there is no practical
 way to
 review it all. Perseus owners would have an even bigger
 issue, due to
 the much wider bandwidth that can be recorded. The entire AM
 band for
 instance!

 What strategies have other DX'ers found successful for
 managing the
 data? I've considered recording just the sunrise/sunset
 periods, or
 waiting for a night with unusual conditions to record TOH ID
 periods
 only, or even simply recording for a week in mid-winter,
 then taking my
 sweet time to review them during the summer.

 --
 --
 73,

 Les Rayburn, N1LF
 121 Mayfair Park
 Maylene, AL 35114
 EM63nf

 6M VUCC #1712
 AMSAT #38965
 Grid Bandits #222
 Southeastern VHF Society
 Central States VHF Society Life Member
 Six Club #2484

 Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light

 Antenna Pattern Book Now Shipping
 AM Radio Log is now shipping!
 FM Atlas 21st Edition Close Out Prices!
 Details at http://www.nrcdxas.org