[IRCA] Alberta TP/DU for 12 Sep 2013

A rather unusual mix of TP and DU this in Alberta this morning. In general the Asians were unimpressive, but yet Japan on 594 had its best audio of the season, while 1566 and 1575 were doing well at the other end of the dial. In between not much - 693 was OK, 747 and 774 poor to fair, and that was it for TP audio. At the same time I was hearing my best Australian stuff of the year:

549 2CR Orange, NSW Very weak, but could make out bits of the ABC news fanfare at 1300.

576 unID  Faint traces of man speaking at 1240.

594 JOAK Tokyo, Japan Decent signal at 1230, easily getting through the Spokane IBOC.

693  JOAB  Tokyo, Japan  Consistent fair to good signal from 1230.

702 2BL Sydney, NSW It's best of the season with ABC fanfare and news by woman at 1300.

747  JOIB  Sapporo, Japan  Fair at best.

774 JOUB Akita, Japan Mostly fair, the weakest it's been for the past few days, but pretty consistent until past 1300.

819 unID 5+1 time pips at 1300, then news by woman. Pretty certain it was New Zealand, but just too weak for 100% certainty.

828  JOBB  Osaka, Japan  poor, with the occassional peak to fair.

837  unID   Could make out time pips at 1300, but that was it.

846 2RN Canberra, ACT Just barely audio, but the trusty ABC news fanfare was discernable.

855  4QB/4QO  QLD  A little better than 846, with ABC news fanfare at 1300.

891 unID Weak talk at 1259, sounded more ABC than TAB, so suspect it was Adelaide.

1116  4BC  Brisbane, QLD    Weak audio with man speaking at 1238

1161 unID Two Aussie-accented men conversing, up to fr-gd for a tantalizing brief moment, then faded away. Don't recall ever having DU audio on this channel before.

1239 unID   Very weak, with woman and man speaking at 1238

1323 5DN Adelaide, SA Weak, with music, and just discernable "Cruise 1323" ID between songs at 1239. New one for me.

1422 unID Two weak stations, one with talk by a man being interviewed in Aussie-accented English, and the other playing a song by a woman.

1539 TAB Radio Adelaide,SA First time heard in several years, with horse race commentary. Mostly poor, but peaked to good for a brief moment.

1566 HLAZ Cheju, S.Korea Good solid signal for most of the time between 1230 and 1300.

1570 KUAU Haiku, HI This one was more cooperative today, with a nice clear ID during a program promo "....here on KUAU 1570 AM..."
New for me, HI #13.

1575 VOA Thailand Woman in Asian language, good levels at times. Actually better than it was during the TP peak of a few days ago. I've noticed before this one sometimes does better on my DU days.

1593 unID Very faint traces of audio, too weak to determine language, at 1242.

1611 unID, AUSTRALIA Weak, but distinct audio, with song by a woman at 1243.

1629.05 unID, AUSTRALIA Weak audio, with light music, and a few words by a man between songs at 1240. Quite a mess, with at least 5 carriers observed on Perseus display.

1638 unID, AUSTRALIA Weak, with talk by a woman. Did not seem to be in English, likely the Arabic station.

1683.25 Weak, with vocal by a womann. Presumed Radio Club AM given the frequency offset. Did note another nearly equal carrier pretty much right on 1683.

1701.03 unID, AUSTRALIA Man speaking, not English, possibly Arabic. Don't think it was Brisvaani, as I've heard them on more like 1701.07, and there was another carrier on that freq.

Any day that adds 2 new ones to the log has to be good!

73,

Nigel Pimblett
Dunmore, Alberta