[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Cape Perpetua) Ultralight DU's for 8-16

[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Cape Perpetua) Ultralight DU's for 8-16

Hello All,

The 4-day Cape Perpetua DXpedition kicked off with a bang this morning as several Kiwi and Aussie AM stations (and even a couple of Russian longwave broadcasters) sent S/N pegging signals into the soggy cliff. Although this is another cliff which favors New Zealand in general, the cliff face is directed at a 270 degrees true bearing, making it much more welcoming to signals from Australia or the Asiatic TP's. As a result both 153-Rossii and 279-Rossii managed to peg the PL-380's S/N readout at 25 this morning, as well as 639-2HC (!) and 792-4RN. The Kiwis were not silent, though, as 531-PI and 603-R. Waatea both managed to do the same thing.

The morning started off with a bang as I arrived at the foggy Cliff around 1103, catching the final minute of 1017-Tonga's sign off routine (with Polynesian choral music). Unfortunately my MP3 recorder had not been set up yet (although the signal level was not in the same league as Bill's MP3, recorded at Grayland last month). After a Murphy's Law episode made me spend the Rockwork 4 trip last month with no Longwave FSL, I was careful to pack it as the very first item this time :-) The Radio Rossii stations were unusually vibrant, except for 234 (MIA, for some unknown reason),

The Medium Wave band exploded to life around 1230, with the Aussies and Kiwis turning many frequencies into loud snarls as they competed with each other. There was no possible way to sort out the entire band (or even the low band) in such a wild session, but I've posted links below for the six S/N pegging receptions this morning.. which hopefully will convince everyone of the reality of freakishly boosted DU propagation at these ocean cliff sites.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (temporarily in Yachats, Oregon)
DXing at Cape Perpetua (2012 video posted at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZzBfstOXA4 )
7.5" MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight + New 12" FSL antenna

153-Radio Rossii (1220z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/50arcjo43kt08vp/153-R.Rossii-1220z081613PL380.MP3

279-Radio Rossii (1129z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8vtg1y7wjj9bqel/279-R.Rossii-1129z081613PL380.MP3

531-PI  Auckland, NW, 5 kW (1306z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/bc3oks4h2ss78ob/531-PI-1306z081613PL380.MP3

603-Radio Waatea  Auckland, NZ, 5 kW (1248z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/prxnx4ak011930c/603-R.Waatea-1248z081613PL380.MP3

639-2HC  Coff's Harbour, Australia, 5 kW (1318z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/79i5qx144fza8za/639-2HC-1318z081613PL380.MP3

792-4RN  Brisbane, Australia, 25 kW (1324z)
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/33l9n7r5s6yn1j7/792-4RN-1324z081613PL380.MP3